Is It Safe to Have a TT, Breast Lift and Augment at 200lbs? I'm 5'7

Hi--My name is Katie and I have a scheduled Tummy tuck, breast lift and Augment in 2 weeks. I'm 5'7" was 280lbs and was hoping to be at my goal weight by surgery 160lbs but I'm 200lbs. I see my PS next week and I'm very nervous that he will be disapointed in my progress and refuse the surgery. Is it safe to go through the surgery at this weight? I've been eating healthy and working out and am very discouraged with my lack of weight loss. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated :)

+1
Best to be as close as possible to your long-term stable way prior to proceeding with surgery.  Generally speaking, combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis. However,  it is best to evaluate each patient on an individualized basis. During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Factors such as selection of plastic surgeon,  exact procedures planned, estimated blood loss, duration of surgery,  recovery considerations, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility are all important  considerations.

Mommy Makeover after Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  Typically we prefer to perform surgery close to your ideal weight.  It makes the procedure much safer and often requires less time in surgery and recovery.

In terms of your weight loss, I always ask patients to realistically assess their goal weight.  If they can maintain their goal weight longterm, then I want them to lose the weight and maintain for 6 months.     

I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD

BMI and elective surgery

+1

Your BMI needs to be discussed.   The extra weight can lead to a possible increased risk for healing problems or complications.  You want to be optimized medically and at a stable weight prior to your surgery.  Please see your PS and he/she should discuss the pro's and con's and decide with you whether you proceed or postpone your surgery.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Ideal weight for a mommy makeover

+1

It is always best for you to be at your ideal weight.  You are at increased risk for complications when you are substantially overweight.  Discuss those risks with your surgeon.

David Stoker, MD

Higher BMI and elective surgery

+1

Given your weight and BMI, I'm concerned about a possible increased risk for healing problems or complications.  If you are asking about the safety of combined procedures, mommy makeover is safe as long as it is done for healthy patients.  Mommy makeover is a combination surgery of abdomen and breasts; it is usually done at the same time.  Depending on complexity of surgery, it may take 4-6 hours.  You want to be optimized medically and at a stable weight prior to your surgery.  You should follow your plastic surgeon's postoperative instruction to minimize peri-operative risks and complication.  I do not think you need to break your procedures into two.   

Sugene Kim, MD

Mommy Makeover and Weight Issues

+1

No, it is not safe to have this surgery with weight issues.  Please get close to your goal weight prior to surgery.  The complication rate is too great, otherwise.  Start a weight loss program such as weight watchers.  We have seen many patients have excellent results with this program.  Best of luck to you!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

+1

Congratulations on the first 80 pounds of loss

Many of us use a BMI of 30 as a threshold for both safety and nice outcomes, and yours is 31.3.  If 160 is a realistic goal, I would wait until you are close. Doing a TT now will have greater risks of complication, and a lesser outcome, and in addition, when you lose the next 40 pounds you might find yourself looking at another TT. 

All the best. 

Tummy tuck, breast lift and breast augmentation at 200 pounds

+1

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck, and breast lift and augmentation.

1. Your big risks from this mommy make over are blood clots and infection,
  2. Risks increase with higher weight and longer surgery.
  3. Based on my calculation of DVT (blood clot) risk, I recommend tummy tuck only plus enoxaparin (blood thinner) to higher risk patients. For lower risk patients, I might do the breast lift as well but not the breast augmentation. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Attaining goal weight prior to major body contouring surgery

+1

Your best result with any body contouring surgery is to be at or very close to your goal weight prior to surgery.  If you have another 40 pounds to lose then I would do this first and then consider this major body contouring procedure.  Losing weight will also significantly reduce your risk of complications. 

BMI less than 30 for safe mommy makeover surgery

+1

Numerous studies have shown that being overweight increases the risk of complications with surgery such as mommy makeover. At 5'7" and 200, yours is 31.3 so the best advice is to wait until you are closer to your goal weight. You don't want to take chances with safety for a major procedure such as mommy makeover.

Richard Baxter, MD