Is It Safe to Use Tri Luma when I've Already Had a Reaction to Hydroquinone?

I have dark brown spots on my cheeks, forehead and upper lip I used OTC creams with hidroquinone but I get a reaction to it redness and swollen on the parts that I applied. Is it safe to use Tri luma.

Non hydroquinone based skin lighteners such as Melarase AM and MelaPads

+1

Patients who are allergic to Hydroquinone may benefit from a new class of skin lighteners that do not have phenol hydroquinone.  Melarase AM can lighten the skin but does not contain Hydroquinone. On the face, you can use Melarase AM with MelaPads.

Don't use Triluma if you are sensitive to hydroquinone

+1

Hydroquinone is one of the active ingredients in Triluma. If you are sensitive to hydroquinone you should also avoid Triluma.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

If you have an allergy to hydroquinone, you should not use Tri Luma

+1

Hydroquinone is one of the ingredients in Tri Luma.  You will have the same reaction to it as the over the counter cream with hydroquinone.

There are other bleaching preparations both over the counter and prescription that do not contain hydroquinone. I would discuss that with your dermatologist.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Triluma contains hydroquinone

+1

You will not be able to use Triluma if you are allergic to hydroquinone. Allergic reactions can actually INCREASE pigmentation, so stay clear. Some suggestions: Perle by Neocutis, Elure by Syneron, Lumixyl by Envy medical. Do not forget Renova, Retin A and Tazorac will help dark spots, as will daily use of sunscreens. Antioxidants containing vitamin C, coffeeberry and ferrulic acid are worth a try. Procedures such as SilkPeel, chemical peels, Fraxel Dual and IPL, as well as some lasers all can be used for dark spots. Good luck.

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Hyperpigmentation and skin bleaching

+1

I would not risk it. You would be better off with Lumixyl or Dermamelan. Neither of these contain hydroquinone and been proven to be effective skin bleachers.

Aaron Stone, MD