How Safe is It to Go Travelling After Surgery?

I am 20 years old, I weigh 8st 11 and I have size 32HH breasts. My surgery is scheduled for February 2013. SCARED! to say the least. I am wanting to travel around Australia on a working holiday with my partner and I was just wondering how long after the surgery would it be safe to travel? I know I will be healing for approx 4-8 weeks if not more, so I need your help! :) Thank you!

Breast reduction healing

+1

Thank you for the question.  Barring complications you should be able to do daily activities after about a week of healing.  You will not be able to do vigorous activity or heavy lifting or impact type activity for around 4 weeks after your surgery.  Of course, all of this will depend on your comfort level as well as your plastic surgeons recommendation.

Dr Remus Repta

Traveling after breast reduction surgery

+1

Your travel limitations depend on what you plan to do during your holiday. If you use your healing timeline of 4-8 weeks and you are not planning any extreme sports, then you should be fine for a relaxing vacation.

Thank you for your question. Best of luck with surgery. Have a nice vacation!

Gregory Park, MD

Travel after breast reduction surgery.

+1

Breast reduction surgery in a healthy 20 year old should be ready to travel 3-4 weeks after surgery, barring no complications (very small risk). On your flight, make sure you pump your feet up and down and get up and walk every 1.5-2 hours while keeping hydrated with water (not alcohol or caffeine).

Being scared is normal, but make sure all of your concerns are answered adequately by your surgeon. Breast reduction is one of the most rewarding for patient and surgeon so trust in the process as long as you are comfortable with all involved. Good luck in this life changing surgery.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

If everything goes well with your surgery you are expected to be mobile by 3 weeks after surgery. You will still be tender and fragile but will be able to be mobile. Make sure you tell your PS what your plans are.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Traveling after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Based on the fact that you say you are “scared”,  I think you will do well requesting additional consultations with your plastic surgeon. Patients who are able to decrease their anxiety prior to surgery generally do better with the procedure and their recovery tends to be smoother. Communicate your concerns/anxiety with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to address them specifically.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you about timing for traveling after the breast reduction procedure.  much will depend on how well you do and whether or not you experience any complications that  prevent you from straying too far from your plastic surgeon's office.  Assuming all goes well,  you may be able to travel 2-3 weeks after the procedure,  again depending on exactly what type of activities you will be participating in during your travels…

Best wishes with your upcoming procedure.