Is It Safe to Have a Transconjunctival Blepharoplasty with Redness on the Eyelids?

Fraxel restore that i did over 6 months ago left me with (vascular) redness on my eyelids (i know quite strange). The post laser erythema just didn't go away.While i will try to correct this with lasers (v-beam),i also want to fix my severe hereditary eye bags and circles with a transconjunctival bleph (arcus marginalis release). Is this safe and possible with this (fixed) post laser redness on my eyelids? What effect would the post op bruising and swelling on the redness have? Thank you!

Is surgery safe with post-inflammatory skin redness?

+1

Safe answer is get a few more consults before doing anything.  It's difficult to say without seeing you.  I would see a surgeon who does a lot of eye work such as a Facial Plastic surgeon or and Oculoplastic surgeon.

If you truly have some redness after your laser work then a transconj bleph shouldn't do you any harm.  HOWEVER, you may not the redness in your lower eyelids will resurge a bit.

Best of luck

Dr. Chase Lay

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Lower Blepharoplasty using the transconjunctival approach without a skin incision should not be affected by the eyelid redness.  

Blepharoplasty 6 Months after Laser Eyelid Treatment

+1

From what you are describing, I think that a lower blepharoplasty is relatively safe 6 months after your Fraxel treatment - especially with the planned transconjunctival approach. Any skin incision could (temporarily) worsen the redness though.  

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery after Fraxel

+1

In a word, yes, you should be able to have a transconjunctival blepharoplasty even though you have this residual redness on the lower lids.While any surgery can cause some inflammation and hence redness and swelling during the healing phase, this should not affect the ultimate course of the redness you currently have. I'm wondering why you had Fraxel on the lids in the first place (What were you seeking to correct?). Also - I caution you about Vbeam on the eyelids. Make sure your practitioner will be using eye shields between your eyelids and eyeball to protect your eyes form the laser. If your practitioner does not have this option, find one who does!

Andrea Nowonty Hass, MD
Palm Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bleparoplasty after Fraxel

+1

It sounds like you develped Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation from the LASER treatment. This may improve with Hydroquinone and steroid containing topical ointments (such as triluma) but you should have an opthalmologist or a dermatologist evaluate you prior to the Bleph. The transconjuctical Bleph is not necessarily contraindicated in this setting but may cause worsening of the inflammatory changes. Also, usually, a skin pinch excision is performed along with Transconj Bleph which may not heal well or heal with more noticible scarring along the incision due to the inflammation. I would suggest waiting to resolve the redness before proceeding with the Bleph.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

You are describing a unique situation.

+1

I would strongly recommend a personal consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in aesthetic and aesthetic reconstructive surgery.  This is the only way to have your questions acurately answered.