Is TCA Peels Safe to Use While Pregnant?

I recently started to go to the doctors for acne and acne scars she started the TCA treatments and my face has completely cleared up. I would like to continue them, however, I just found out I'm 5 weeks pregnant. Is it safe?

TCA Peel and Pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy, I would not preform a TCA peel. Because this is an elective treatment, wait until after delivery prior to receiving a TCA peel. Best of luck!

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

TCA Peels during pregnancy may not be safe

+1

I don't think anybody knows for sure and I am not certain that TCA peels safe to use during pregnancy. I suppose there is a possibility of increased chance of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, especially with higher concentrations of TCA. I doubt whether TCA applications to the skin would affect your pregnancy or your baby but I just don’t know.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

TCA peels

+1

During pregnancy there are many hormonal changes that can also affect the skin pigmentation.

Because of that it is probably safer if you stopped the treatments till after delivery and breast feeding.

TCA Peels probably safe during pregnancy but don't do them

+1

TCA Peels have a small risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation anyway but the risk goes way up during pregnancy since hormones influence the dark resulting skin.

Your skin will get darker during pregnancy anyway and the TCA peels will accentuate the darkness a lot and you will wind up with very blotchy skin color. I would wait until after the pregnancy to continue the peels.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Medications and pregnancy

+1

There is no specific data on pregnancy and TCA peels but it makes logical sense not to do these as the possible absorption through your skin of the chemical might have a negative effect on your baby. Since these are non-essential treatments, you should wait until after delivery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS