Is It Safe to Take Spironolactone for Acne 2 Weeks Post Breast Implants?

I just had BA 2 weeks ago ( 250 cc, inframammary, memory gel) I want to know if it's safe to take Spironolactone 100mg if you have BA. I'm taking it for my acne, I'm just concerned coz when I was on Spiro before I noticed some breast tenderness. Now that I have implants, is it gonna cause more swelling? does taking Spiro put me at risk of developing complications associated with BA? Thank you Doctors. Hayden

Spironolactone is ok

+1

Spironolactone is normally ok to resume following surgery. Unless you were told specifically to avoid it, it should be ok to begin taking it again. Best of Luck!

Breast implants

+1

It should be ok to resume your medicine, and it should not affect your breast implants. Good luck

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Spironolactone after Breast Augmentation

+1

Spironolactone can cause hyperkalemia, thus the cessation around the time of surgery.  In addition, the drug is an antiestrogen as well and can cause breast tenderness in females and gynecomastia in males.  This will probably continue when the drug is resumed.

Resuming Spironolactone after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Generally speaking, you should be okay to restart this medication at this point;  always best to check with your own plastic surgeon who is ultimately responsible for your care.

+1

Users of spironolactone are usually advised to stop at the time of surgery, because of its effects on sodium and potassium metabolism and its effects upon anesthesia management. At two weeks after surgery, resuming seems OK. As always, check with your own surgeon sooner than relying upon the advice of a surgeon who has not followed your post op course. 

Thanks, best wishes.