Is It Safe to Use a Skin Bleacher/skin Whitener on Bracioplasty Scars? I Think Its Called Hydroquinone.

Had bracioplasty 5 months ago. Am using kelocote and vitamin e oil daily. Still have substancial swelling in arms and scars are red. That's why I am asking about the whitener.

Skin Bleacher/Whitener on Brachioplasty Scars?

+2

Thank you for your question. Yes, 2% HQ is safe to use, provided you don't get any skin irritation. I would also suggest you get some Vbeam treatments to reduce the redness of the scars. This can also shrink the scars. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment following brachioplasty

+2
Dear Mrs. Impatient, Brachioplasty scars frequently can become raised and red because of this location of the body. It is safe to say about one-third of patients will be bothered by scars that are raised and red. It is true that with time they will improve. The hydroquinone is not effective for redness because this represents capillary ingrowth into the raised scar, and so you are actually seeing red because of the proximity of the red blood cells to the surface. Hydroquinone will not effect that because hydroquinone only blocks the production of melanin which is the chemical that gives you a tan or areas of over pigmentation. If you have scars that are brown, hydroquinone is effective and even more so if used in conjunction with Retin-A to speed cell turnover. If it is simply redness that you are bothered by, then the ideal method is FotoFacial (Intense Pulse Light therapy). For any raised areas, silicone gel tape is a good product to use and should be used for a minimum of six weeks. I hope this has been helpful to you. Sincerely, Robert D. Wilcox, M.D.

Robert D. Wilcox MD

Using Hydroquine to bleach scars

+2

Yes hydroquinone is safe, however it is typically used for hyperpigmentation (brown discoloration of scars). It is normal for scars to go through a maturation process - going from red to eventually white. The time it takes for this process can be anywhere from 3 to 24 months depending on the individual. Protecting your new scars from the sun by avoiding sun exposure and applying a sunscreen will help prevent your scars from hyperpigmenting.

Best Wishes.

Gregory Pisarski, MD, FACS

Is skin Bleaching safe on scars?

+2

Yes, it is safe, but typically scars are at the worst in appearance between 3-6 months, scars will mature after this and develope into a thin white line on the arms. Bleaching agents, IPL and silicone topical gel is what I typically recommend to patients. Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Armlift, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon, Toronto

+2

Hello;

In general  Armlift scars take 6-24 months to gradually fade away to ideally a fine white line if the closure is properly performed with appropriate deep semipermanent sutures.

However if you would like the redness to disappear sooner you do so by having a few sessions of IPL.  If the scars are hyper pigmented then application of topical hydroquinone for a few month would help fade it away.

Thank you

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS