Is It Safe to Get a Silicon Nose Job After First One Got Infected?

Hi. im an Asian grl.I had a silicon L- implant and septal cartilage nj in 07. I started seeing a red bump and I could actually see my implant pushing out. I got it removed in 2010. I was really adamant on getting a revision with rib cartilage but it's very expensive and there are few doctors who specialize in it. I believe my first nj got infected because it was a L- shaped implant. I want to get a I-implant now with cartilage at the tip. Is this a good idea? Is my infection rate higher now

Second silicone implant ill advised

+1

Experience has taught us that there is definitely a higher rate of infection in a case such as yours. The best alternative alloplastic implant is probably PTFE (Gortex), but autogenous ear or septal cartilage is the safest approach. See an experienced nasal surgeon. Good luck withyour secondary rhinoplasty.

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rib cartilage better choice after infected nasal implant

+1

If you have previously had an infected nasal silicone implant removed, replacing it with another silicone implant is probably a bad idea. When patients have problems like that, it is best to revise them with a patients own tissues. Diced rib cartilage wrapped in fascia is a great choice, and one that I use often.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Asian Rhinoplasty and Silicone

+1

I believe the most common reason for "infection" and extrusion of the silicone implant following the rhinoplasty is an improper sizing of the original implant the the pressure points where the implant may exert pressure.  The improper amount of pressure (tip, especially;  with L shaped...at the base of columella) will over time, extrude.

I don't hesitate to use silicone again following the original implant removal.  With proper use of cartilage to shield the tip area, the pressure points are minimized and I feel it is as safe as the original implant. 

Depending on heght or augmentation desired, silicone implant may be the best choice.  Rib cartilage can also be used (I have used cadavaric ribs) with some higher cost.  With cartilage use....there is also some risk of resorption over time.  Ear and septal cartilage sometimes provide enough cartilage as well.

Kun Z. Kim, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant for asian rhinoplasty

+1

I believe in natural materials for this procedure on the nose. especially in face of the scarring and decreased blood supply you may have in the nose secondary to the infected implant you had removed last year. rib or cartilage is a safer way to go.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Silicone implant selection after previous extrusion is not a prudent choice

+1

It generally would be far more prudent and safer to use your own tissue for nasal surgery versus a silicone implant which is associated with a far higher rate of extrusion and which you have experienced first hand. Selecting this choice again may leave you with a nasal deformity that can ultimately be extremely difficult and expensive to correct.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Asian rhinoplasty ... silicone vs cartilage implant

+1

Why did your first implant get infected? Thee are many reasons why that might occur. Was it infection alone or a contracture of the surrounding scar tissue and extrusion of implant followed by infection? It is possible.  Can you get an infection if you put another implant? Yes. Could that happen with a cartilage graft? Yes.
In any event, you need to be seen in  person  by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to assist you in making a decision as to what is best for you. Dr Randy Smith in Athens Ga. is a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who might be able to help YOu.

I hope that this is helpful for you . Jon Sattler, MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Glendora, California.

Jon Sattler, MD
Glendora Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Implant after Infection

+1

Hi Ashely,

As long as the infection has resolved, a silicone implant to build up the bridge is fine to use. The most probable cause of the initial implant was that it wasn't custom carved to shape of your nose. Also the L shaped implants tend to place alot of tension on the tip of the nose. The implant needs to be placed in a precise pocket as well other wise it will move and get infected again. Any implant can get infected, even rib cartilage grafts. I have used hundreds custom carved silicone implant grafts for over 10 years with great success and only one infection. My website below describes the technique and my philosophy. That said, choose a surgeon not on the implant he/she uses but  the results that he/has.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Nose Tip Still Hasn't Gone Down 6 Months Post-op, Still a Chance for a Change?

+1

Yes very high risk in your case. But it is possible to have done as long as you understand that the re infection risks are significantly higher. 

Silicone nasal implants - second time?

+1

I would recommend a cartilage graft versus another silicone or foreign material implant.  It is less likely to become infected and/or extrude.   Many plastic surgeons use only cartilage, so it should not be difficult to find a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience obtaining and using various cartilage grafts. 

Michelle Spring, MD

Repeat silicone nasal implant

+1

I would not recommend nasal augmentation with a foreign material; especially after previous infection.  Augmentation withe nasal, ear or rib cartilage would be a better alternative and much less likely to become infected or be rejected.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD