Is It Safe to Do Rhinoplasty Prior to Orthognathic Surgery?

I was injured in a car accident fracturing many bones on the right side of my face. My broken jaw healed into an extremely asymmetrical crossbite & my nose with a bump. I pursued the nose first & have my surgery paid & scheduled Now my oral surgeon is telling me that my upper and lower jaw surgery could easily wreck my nose from 1) the breathing tube going down my nose & 2) since orthognathic surgery widens the nose. Will I not be safe if I wait atleast a year? How worried should I be? Thank you

Rhinoplasty Prior to Orthognathic Surgery

+1

Because orthognathic surgery does change  facial proportions  it is better to do the rhinoplasty later to achieve the best, balanced, refined  appearance. 

Rhinoplasty should be delayed until jaw surgery completed

+1
Dear dIstressedanddistraught As recommended by the other surgeons, your definitive rhinoplasty is best reserved for well after your orthognathic surgery. I would not worry about the breathing tube in the nose, but strongly consider discussing the surgical plan with both your facial plastic surgeon/plastic surgeon and oral surgeon. Depending on the positioning of your chin and mid face after surgery, your rhinoplasty surgeon can create proportionality with the newly balanced bone structure. In almost all instances I would recommend you Delay the Rhinoplasty if you are planning the orthognathic surgery. Best Wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Get the jaw fixed, then the nose

+1

Orthognathic surgery is the process of moving the jaws to restore facial profile and occlusion of teeth.  The bones of the face can be looked at as the foundation of the house, and the nose is the roof.  It would make better sense to fix the foundation prior to the roof.  I think waiting a year after orthognathic surgery is reasonable, although you could potentially do it sooner.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

+1

Your Jaw surgery can change the shape, of your nose and as such it is appropriate to have that surgery first.  After a yera, the Rhinoplasty can be performed.

Orthognathic surgery

+1

You need to do the orthognathic surgery first. This way the rhinoplasty can be certain to be "in balance" with the rest of your face. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Orthognathic Surgery and Rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly safe to do a rhinoplasty first, but it would probably not be wise.  The orthognathic surgery alters the "foundation" of your face.  The rhinoplasty is more of a finishing touch.  I suggest you get your "foundation" established and well healed, then move on to the rhinoplasty.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Orthognathic Surgery Before Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi DD,

Best to have your orthognathic surgery first, let it heal. then have your rhinoplasty.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Nasal vs jaw surgery first

+1

As a general principle othognathic surgery should precede nasal surgery. I do not know the specifics of you r case so I cannot comment on your situation without an examination.

Jay M. Pensler, MD