Is It Safe to Have Rhinoplasty While Taking Imuran & Remicade for Crohn's Disease?

I am a mid-20s male with Crohn's & take Imuran daily. I've had 2 consults with a surgeon about having a rhinoplasty/chin implant & was ready to book my procedure (for 6 weeks from now). However, my Crohn's has worsened & my Gastro dr wants to start me on Remicade (Infliximab) in about 5 weeks. Will having surgery while on both Imuran & Remicade (as opposed to having surgery then starting the Remicade a few weeks later), be safe? And will risks (eg infection) increase by much? Thank you

Crohn's and Rhinoplasty

+2

Any inflammatory condition that requires immune modulation can present unique risks in surgery.  Since your Crohn's is central to your good health and is currently worse, you have to make your decisions centered around what is best to get your Crohn's under control first.  Recognize that anything you do surgically can trigger even more inflammation and an even worse scenario for you.

My advice is that you change your regimen however your Gastroenterologist suggests and wait until your condition stabilizes for at least 3-6 months.  If you remain on a stable regimen and your symptoms are well controlled, then consider going ahead with your surgery.  The infection risk is not the major consideration, as far as I'm concerned, it is triggering an even worse flare of your Crohn's.

I hope you find this helpful!

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon