Is It Safe Having a Rhinoplasty When You Are Over 25?

I'm now 27 and I'm seriusly considering having my nose fixed cause is too wide. But i've been told that cosmetic surgeries have better results when you are young, like under 25, because your skin heals better. What are the dangers or possible consequences I should know of if i decide to do it anyways?. Thanks.

Rhinoplasty is a safe operation at virtually any age, 16 and up.

+1
Disregard what you've heard about cosmetic surgery being MORE effective on younger individuals. Rhinoplasty, for example, is commonly performed with excellent outcomes on patients in the mid- to late teens, all the way up into later decades. The dangers of rhinoplasty are surprisingly few. It isn't major organ surgery- its your nose. But standard risks like nosebleed, infection, discomfort, scarring, lack of achieving the desired result, post-rhinoplasty nasal obstruction, and the chance of needing for revision surgery (aka revision rhinoplasty) should all be discussed with you by your surgeon. 

Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it is safe to have Rhinoplasty after age 25

+1

The rhinoplasty operation can be done on patients of any age. Rhinoplasty surgery is frequently performed on patients in their 30s and 40s and 50s. A reduction of a nasal fracture with osteotomies can be performed on folks at any age should they break their nose.  

What is the right age to get a nose job?

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Lima,
In my experience after age 18, surgical outcomes of rhinoplasty are not correlated to the age of patients. They are purely related to the shape, anatomy, and health of patient. More importantly it depends on the ability of the surgeon to deliver a good result. If you are ready, go for it.

Kevin Sadati, DO

No problem with rhinoplasty at age 25

+1

There is truly no age limit to undergo a rhinoplasty, as long as the patient is medically fit for the surgery. There is no truth to what you have been told; you will heal just fine at age 25. I have performed rhinoplasty on many patients much older than you. 

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Age Nothing But a Number

+1

Your age will have very little to do with your outcome.  Age overall is not a major factor in outcome.  Outcome depends on the patient's health, minimizing complications and getting the right operation for a given problem.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Over 25 IS "ideal" for rhinoplasty

+1

Although it is true that we heal better when we are younger, as an adult you probably have a better idea of what your desires are, and are mature enough to be well prepared for the procedure.

Debra Irizarry, MD
Crestone Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty as an adult

+1

There should be no problems with you undergoing a rhinoplasty at the age of 25 if you can afford to do so both financially and from the time off of work or school. Typically, excellent results can be achieved. After about age 65 or so the skin may not always shrink back to fit the nose but even in that age bracket it typically responds well. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty can make a nose narrower and better looking.

+1

Age is no consequence in having your nose done at 25 or 55. Just pick an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon and you should have a good result.

Rhinoplasty - age

+1

There is no problem having rhinoplasty after age 25.  In fact, there is no age limitation for rhinoplasty - the main issue for older patients is that they must be healthy enough to have general anesthesia.  Your plastic surgeon will go over the specific risks, benefits, and alternatives of your rhinoplasty surgery.  Depending if you have an open or closed procedure some of the risks are scarring, nasal airway obstruction, poor contour, septal perforation, and need for re-operation just to name a few.  In general, choose your surgeon carefully, make sure you are 100% comfortable, that both of you have a good understanding of your expectations, and have all your questions answered. 

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Rhinoplasty When You Are Over 25

+1

Your question is a concern to me. There is NO age limitation on rhinoplasty in the young healthy individual. Where ever you heard that foolish information just forget about it! From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091