Safe to Have Revision Two Months After Primary Rhinoplasty?

Soon after my cast came off I noticed a small bump on the left side of my bridge. It's very hard and feels like bone. After meeting with my doctor he said I would need a small revision. He told me he would rasp down the bump under local anesthesia, and the impression I received was that it is a fairly simple procedure. My concern is that I notice on this site many doctors saying revisions should not be done for 6 months to 1 year. Is it safe to have rasping done this soon?

Minor bone revision

Although with most revisions it is advisable to wait 10-12 months, what you are describing seems reasonable to do as an early revision

Revision Rhinoplasty

A bump on the bridge can be removed as early as 6 months following the initial surgery.  Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi mel1087 -

Waiting 6-12 months is usually best, so that you and the surgeon can see how things healed. Having said this your surgeon knows the particulars of your case and surgical procedure. Ask your surgeon this question, as well as the pros and cons of waiting. 

Sincerely,

Tom Kaniff

Thomas E. Kaniff, MD, FACS
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty 2 months after surgery

Some revisions can be done sooner than 6-9 months and this is one of those. If you can wait another month or so, it may be best. But, a rasping can be done through a small incision without any consequence. You will have unilateral swelling for a while before it evens out.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Timing of revision rhinoplasty

It is typically best to wait close to one year for several reasons. First of all, often times with conservative therapy the problem will resolve and there would be no need for additional surgery. Secondly, it is technically difficult to go in to an area that has been operated on until the tissues soften and return to their natural state. Surgery too soon can also disrupt the healing of the other tissues and compromise the overall result. Some surgeons do operate sooner with satisfactory results but most of us prefer to wait closer to one year.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

Usually it is best to wait about 6 months to a year to perform revisions for rhinoplasty. This is due to  he fact that the soft tissues are still quite firm.

Minor Revision Rhinoplasty

There are few absolutes in rhinoplasty surgery, but waiting at least one year for revision is very good advice - especially for tip cartilage and soft tissue healing to finalize.  However, if the abnormality is bone, as it sounds like yours is, then I agree with your surgeon's recommendation that there is no need to wait because it is unlikely to change much after the first couple months.

James Bartels, MD
Manchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Nasal Refinement, Nose Job,Beverly Hills Rhinoplasty, Los Angeles Rhinoplasty

Having done Rhinoplasty and Revision Rhinoplasty for over 20 years, I think you should consider waiting for the following reasons:

• Elevating the tissues off of the nasal structures below at intervals less than 6 months apart can cause cobble stone like appearance to the skin.  This should be avoided at all cost IMHO as it can't be reversed.
  • It's not impossible that the bump will decrease over the normal post Rhinoplasty healing time which is 6-9 months.
  • There's healing still occurring, within the nasal tissues, from the first Rhinoplasty which makes dissection more difficult and scar tissue formation more likely after this early reveision IMO.

The typical waiting time for Revision Rhinoplasty is 6 months.

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi,

If there is a gross abnormality, then there is no reason to wait. Also it depends on the extent of your first rhinoplasty. According to what you wrote, it seems reasonable to wait 2 to 3 months. If  you still have the hump, a minor revision is reasonable.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS