Soon after my cast came off I noticed a small bump on the left side of my bridge. It's very hard and feels like bone. After meeting with my doctor he said I would need a small revision. He told me he would rasp down the bump under local anesthesia, and the impression I received was that it is a fairly simple procedure. My concern is that I notice on this site many doctors saying revisions should not be done for 6 months to 1 year. Is it safe to have rasping done this soon?
Safe to Have Revision Two Months After Primary Rhinoplasty?
Doctor Answers (21)
Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.
No revision should be done for at least a year. I have seen patients in the DC area who had multiple surgeries just a few months apart and with each surgery things got worse and worse. Just wait. Let things heal. If you need a minor rasping then it can be done after a year once much of the healing is stabilized but remember that rhinoplasty results change for many years to come. The reason you wait a year is for the revision to be less bloody and the scar tissue to be relatively more mature rather than fresh scar tissue.
Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty
Hi mel1087 -
Waiting 6-12 months is usually best, so that you and the surgeon can see how things healed. Having said this your surgeon knows the particulars of your case and surgical procedure. Ask your surgeon this question, as well as the pros and cons of waiting.
Minor bone revision
Although with most revisions it is advisable to wait 10-12 months, what you are describing seems reasonable to do as an early revision
You might also like...
Waiting is Wise!
In general, it is best not to re-operatefor for one year after a failed rhinoplasty since the tissues are still inflamed and less likely to heal favorably. The reason for this is because re-operating on acutely inflamed tissue is far less precise and much less predictable. For the best results, most patients are advised to postpone revision surgery at least until the acute swelling and inflammation have resolved, which varies considerably from patient to patient.
Each case is different, the decision to re-operate should be made jointly between patient and surgeon after careful consideration of the risk factors and prospects for improvement. I have discouraged many patients from a hasty and impulsive attempt at a quick revision, only to eventually confirm that further surgery was unnecessary and the issue that the patient was concerned with had resolved on its own.
A knowledgeable and experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon can usually determine the appropriate time for a successful revision rhinoplasty.
A bump on the bridge can be removed as early as 6 months following the initial surgery. Thank you, and I hope this helps answer your question.
Timing for revision rhinoplasty
I agree with the comments it is best to wait at least six months. Even though you may have residual bone, the tissue surrounding the area will require time to soften, so that the revision can be done safely and with less chance of complication/revision.
Revision Rhinoplasty at 2 Months? No..No..No
The term "little revision" in Rhinoplasty brings to mind the concept of being a "little pregnant". In Rhinoplasty surgery, every action has an equal and opposite reaction; sometimes doing "just one little thing" leads to more of a mess than an improvement. The fact is that you are going to see changes for a year and even longer after Rhinoplasty. If you want to be happy with your ultimate result, I would advise you to wait a minimum of 6-9 months. If there is a gross abnormality, your will need a major revision and the same advice applies.
Eary Revision Rhinoplasty
If the prominence is really a piece of bone, then I would agree with your doctor that it can be done sooner than later. The 12 month recommendation to wait that you see regarding revision rhinoplasty is one to allow all the swelling, scar changes, and skin contraction to finish before making a decision whether and what needs to be done. Your surgeon is in the perfect situation to give you the best advice.
Two months post-op is too soon to consider Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery.
I read your concern. When it comes to Revision Rhinoplasty Surgery, there is no such thing as a "small revision". In my opinion, you should consider waiting for at least 6 months from the time of your surgery before considering further surgical intervention. I have seen "small bumps" up by the nasal bones completely disappear as post-surgical swelling resolves.
Also, if the bump is filed down, this may cause the appearance of your nose to widen and require osteotomies.
At this point, if the small bump is bothersome, consider getting a second opinion from a reputable rhinoplasty specialist. You can find a list of local certified facial plastic surgeons at abfprs.org.
I hope this is helpful for you.
Regards from NJ:
Sometimes revision rhinoplasty is indicated earlier than 6 to 12 months
I agree that most patients should not undergo revision rhinoplasty surgery for quite some time after their procedure. Many of the slight imperfections that patients notice in the first few months after a rhinoplasty resolve once the swelling is gone and the nose if fully healed. However, some imperfections may not resolve with time and a small bump on the bridge of the nose can be one of them. I would defer to your surgeon's judgement on this.