Safe to Use Restylane Following Breast Cancer?

I had breast cancer in 08 and am now taking Tamoxifen. Is it safe for me to use Restylane?

Filler and cancer

+2
There are not any contraindications to using a filler after being treated for cancer.  However, I would avoid doing an elective cosmetic procedure during treatment with chemotherapy (unless specifically approved by an oncologist) because the immune status is compromised and it could potentially be more likely to get a skin infection. 

Austin Dermatologist

Restylane can be used in a breast cancer survivor

+2

There is no evidence that Restylane is not safe in someone who has had breast cancer. There is no immune disorder seen-to-date as a result of Restylane or Juvederm injections. In fact, continual treatment of ones appearance during the post treatment phase can help a cancer patient feel better about themselves. By doing something for oneself, the person is validating their optimistic attitude about their future existence which can help the immune system continue to fend off the cancer. Positive attitude helps this innate defense mechanism whereas stress and negativism probably interferes with the immune system's full abilitiy to fight the growth of the cancer.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Is it safe to use Restylane after breast cancer

+2

I am presuming your question is about using Restylane on the face after treatment of breast cancer. 

If you are finished with chemotherapy, there are no contraindications.

For elective procedures, you want to make sure your white cell counts and platelet counts are normal before getting the treatment.  Otherwise the risk of bleeding and infection is significantly higher.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Go For it!

+1

Congrats on being a survivor.  I see no reason not to indulge in Restylane treatments.  Your history of breast cancer should have no impact on getting injectable fillers. 

Jerome Potozkin, MD
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

The current use of Tamoxifen is unlikely to affect your treatment.

+1

There is no reason to believe that there will be an issue.  Many women who are being treated for breast cancer have elected to have cosmetic services to give themselves an emotional boost and the minimally invasive services like Restylane, Perlane, and BOTOX are perfect for this.

Restylane May be Used after Breast Cancer

+1

There is no contraindication to the use of Restylane with a history of previous breast cancer.  Nor does the use of Tamoxifen create a problem with Restylane.

John Whitt, MD

Restylane ok after breast cancer

+1

Restylane is safe to use after breast cancer treatment. There are no reports to indicate a contraindication to its use in this instance. However, ask your oncologist just to be 100% safe.

Kavita Mariwalla, MD
New Haven Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane and prior history of breast cancer

+1

I do not see a contra-indication for the use of restylane following breast cancer and subsequent treatment with tamoxifen. Concerns with concurrent use of immunosuppressants have been raised in the past.

Restylane and cancer

+1

I have treated many post-cancer surgery patients with facial fillers. I do not believe it should have any impac.