Is it safe to Remove Saline Breast Implants through the belly button if that's how they were implanted?

Hi there! I'm thinking about removing my breast implant for awhile now. I got them through the belly button and was wondering if I can also remove them through the belly button. I got saline by the way. Do you recommend it or is it a bad idea? Im 34 yrs old and got them 7 years ago. I was a 32A and now I'm a 34c. Please advise what is the best way to remove my breast implants. Thanks in advance!

+1
Not really. You can have them removed through a very small inframammary incision, which is what I'd recommmend. 

That being said, contact the surgeon who put them in.  If he or she is equipped with appropriate instrumentation (fiberoptic equipment is advisable) and is comfortable removing them via this approach, then go ahead.  But inserting them this way can, perhaps surprisingly, be easier than removing them via this incision.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E
Member of RealSelf 100

Is it safe to remove breast implants through the belly button?

+1
  • I believe the safest way to remove your breast implants would do through an inframammary approach. I would also recommend that you discussed this with the plastic surgeon who placed her implants. .

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon