Safe to Remove Saline Implants by Puncturing, Draining, then Stitching Up?

Is it safe to remove implants with local by just punctureing the implant, draining it then stitching it back up? I have had my saline submuscular implants for 10 years and want them out.I have no problems with them they are just too big. I am a DD, but was a large B small C prior. They are not hard or anything. I also am afraid of looking to saggy.

Breast Implant removal under local anesthesia

+1
Yes saline implants (silicone as well) can be removed under local anesthesia. Saline implants are typically deflated with needle aspiration, a small incision is placed and the implant removed. 

Breast implant removal (explantation) under local anesthesia

+1

Breast implants can certainly be removed(explantation) under local anesthesia. In regards to the capsule, there is some controversy among surgeons if this should be removed and this is difficult to perform under local.

Removing saline breast implants

+1

Saline breast implants can certainly be removed without problems using local anesthesia. You will probably look a bit saggy at first, but with the weight of the implants off the skin there will be some contraction of the skin from its elasticity. You may indeed need a breast lift to look better, but the expected loss of your remaining natural breast tissue will not be improved without an implant! If you want to be smaller, just replace the implants with smaller implants. Your doctor can give you advice regarding what you need.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Cosequences of removing 10 year old saline breast Implants

+1

Removing saline breast implants is fairly straight forward but you MUST understand that your OLD B small C breasts would probably not reappear after the implants are removed. Those breasts are long gone. The pressure from the breast implants has caused some wasting of the breast tissue  resulting in smaller volume and the skin stretching has resulted in sagging breasts. You may find very sagging small breasts when the implants are removed.

Explantation of implants

+1

Explantation of implants should be done by a  qualified plastic surgeon in an accredited facility.  However the breasts may sag after removal.

Explantation of breast implant

+1

Removal of breast implants is a serious decision to make.

Think of what you will look like after the removal of the implants.

Psychological impact.

Also something need to be done by the surgeon to the capsule. Leaving the capsule may leave lwo surfaces of the capsule non adherent and may fill with fluid. It has been reported several times after just removal of implants

Saline Implant Removal

+1

Removing a saline implant is pretty easy, and it can be done under local anesthesia if someone really wants to.  However, if you have had the implants for ten years, the breast tissue has probably been stretched out to the point that it will not retract back on its own.  This means that you may need a lift after the implant is removed, or changed to a smaller implant.  Iwould consult with a board certifed plastic surgeon to see what is the best option for you.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon