Is It Safe to Remove External Plastic Splint?

I had a rhinoplasty for almost 2 weeks. One week after the surgery the nurse placed an external plastic splint taped on my nose. Is it safe to remove them while I want to wash my face?

Removal Of External Splint After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Safir,

It is your surgeon's decision to allow you to remove the external plastic splint taped to your nose; he/she knows the full details of your surgery and consulting with them is for your best interest.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Nasal splint

+1

I only keep a nasal splint on for one week. It is best for you to check with your doctor to make sure that it is ok.

+1

It's unusual to have any splint placed after the original cast is removed at 1 week post Rhinoplasty.  You should call your Rhinoplasty Surgeon and follow his/her instructions.

In my practice, nasal splints are removed 1 week after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

I'm not sure why your surgeon taped an external splint on your nose that remains 2 weeks post-op. I would suggest calling your surgeon for an explanation. It certainly won't hurt having it, but the inconvenience deserves a phone call.

Hope this helps, and all the best with your new nose.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask your surgeon about any post operative questions--period.

+1

Your surgeon has an operative plan which includes post-operative management.  If you are uncertain about your splint, call the office.