Is It Safe to Have Radiesse Administered by a Registered Nurse? I Called an Office for a Consultation.

And when I asked if their doctors were board certified, I was told that only the RNs administer fillers. Should I avoid this place? They has also advertised a special of 300 per syringe.. Which makes me wonder if I am going to the wrong place? I am really scared of bad side effects.

Is It Safe to Have Radiesse Administered by a Registered Nurse?

+1

In the state of California RN's and PA's are able to inject fillers and Botox under the direction of a supervising MD using an established set of treatment parameters.  The real question, is not are RN's able to inject you with Radiesse but rather do they have the aesthetic understanding to do so in a manner that makes you more naturally attractive?

+1

If you are worried, go with a plastic surgeon or other physician injector.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

Maybe.  As with all similar injections (fillers, neurotoxins, etc.) there is a range of capability and experience.  There are, of course, no guarantees with any of these (my instinct is to be more concerned with a suspiciously low price than anything else).  In general, though, it is important that you be treated by an experienced, competent injector and the degree is not necessarily a guarantee either way.  One cannot argue with a board-certified doctor performing the injections but the truth is that the degree in and of itself is not a final determining factor.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Consistently safe, predictable and outstanding results during filler treatments

+1

Others have mentioned many great, valid points.  Certainly there are some excellent nurse injectors out there that are very experienced and have terrific outcomes.  However, there is a bit of risk involved because there is so much variability with non-MD injectors.  While you may find an excellent one, you may also find an equally terrible one.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

RN doing the injections???

+1

I agree with the bulk of the comments.  Though there are skilled nurse injectors, I always am a bit nervous for them thinking about their knowledge of anatomy.  Most of the time, there is no problem with fillers.  But when there are problems, they can be range from minor to terrible.  In addition, Radiesse cannot be broken down with a reversing agent the the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane and Belotero with Hyaluronidase.  I also would be nervous about someone who doesn't even give you an option to have the physician inject.  300 dollars is also just above the purchase price.  I would worry this is part of their training.  Buyer beware. 

David J. Myers, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Only Nurses????Hmmmmmm

+1

I would be nervous to let a nurse be the only certified person to do fillers. Knowledge of Anatomy is essential to correctly injecting these products. Does a nurse learn more than a doctor about facial anatomy? I think NOT. What happens if a problem arises? Do they call in another nurse? You might want a different place to get treated

Beverly Johnson, MD
Washington DC Dermatologist

Nurse injectors

+1

Nurses can be skilled injectors; I have worked with a few.  They, just like physician injectors, need lots of training and experience.   Nurse injectors should also be supervised by qualified, board certified plastic surgeons or other facial aesthetic specialists such as dermatologists or ENTs (facial plastic surgeons).  Some medispas are supervised remotely by a physician that is not a specialist.  I would be cautious with such a situation.   Also, ask about his/her experience. 

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Who can administer fillers?

+1

In Nevada, anyone who is under the supervision of a doctor can administer fillers. That means, literally, ANYONE. You don't have to be a nurse, PA, esthetician, anything. The doctor will put their license on the line, but there does not have to be any direct supervision or licensing. I find this terrifying, and it's not abnormal in other states as well. While I do believe there are skilled nurses and PAs who can administer fillers, that is not always the case. Personally, in my office, I am the only injector and I will always be the only injector. I trained for years on facial anatomy, muscle structure, medicine, skin, fillers, etc. You cannot compensate for education, and then extensive practice and execution. Your pricing for $300 brings more light to the situation. Based on the simple cost of a Radiesse syringe for an office to purchase from the manufacturer, if they are offering it at $300, that means they are making VERY VERY VERY little money. So it means: it's not an authentic syringe, or you are being injected by someone very inexperienced  (who frankly is going to have to try to sell you on a bunch of other things and procedures because they cannot survive on this price point.)

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Expert injectors

+1

Fillers and Botox tend to be delegated to nurses, PAs who could be trained and be good injectors.

This is a cosmetic procedure and if the doctor does not have time to do the procedure then they should not do that procedure and should not be delegated.

Injections by a Nurse?

+1

Hi Lilly.  There are nurses that are very skilled at injections, and we in fact have one, Lori Haney, RN.  The reason she is skilled is that she has focused on this area of our practice for many years, gone to many offsite seminars and training programs and done more of the treatments than anyone else in the practice.  

A nurse that is very good at injection procedures will be no different from a doctor in how they value their time and $300 is a very low price for Radiesse.  As Dr. Weber pointed out, the product could be from overseas.  It could also be that this person's time is not valued highly.  Either way, we would be a bit wary as an in demand injector will not be charging $300 for a syringe of Radiesse.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD