How Safe is It to Go out in Public After Rhinoplasty? I Am Very Scared of Damaging my Nose

Hi everyone, I had my rhinoplasty operation on May 25th and tomorrow my splint is being removed (June 3rd). I am worrying about doing normal day to day activities such as going out with friends as I am scared to walk in public incase something damages my nose! Is this a good time to stay at home?

1 week after Rhinoplasty

+2

We advise our Rhinoplasty patients to put up an invisible wall 2 feet in front of their face for 1 month after Rhinoplasty.  No hugs, no struggles, nothing gets within that 2 foot distance from your nose.  Rest is OK.

Safety in Public After Cast is Removed from Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Kathy,

Have your surgeon give you your nasal splint when it is taken off.  It is fine to be in public without protection, but if you are very worried/concerned you may tape your cast on your nose.  We ask our patients to do this at night for about 2 ro 3 weeks after their rhinoplasty.  Like we tell George of the Jungle, "Watch out (for that tree)! after your rhinoplasty.  Hope that you love your new nose.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Go back to your life quickly after rhinoplasty

+2

By now you have had your splint removed.  I hope that everything looks excellent and that you can already see that things are coming along as you wished.

The healing proteins in your nose will hold everything in place.  If you have had septal surgery, don't get your heart rate up for another week to avoid bleeding.

Otherwise it is best to resume your life.  You will feel better, and the less you worry, the better and faster you will heal.  That has been my observation for years, and has just been proved by research in the US.

Enjoy the new you!

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Going Out in Public After Rhinoplasty

+1

As a plastic surgeon living in Dallas, TX many of my patients I see in the malls on the weekends with their nasal splints on from their rhinoplasty earlier in the week. In general, my patients have their splints and sutures removed within a week, 7-10 days, and earlier if they don’t have very much bruising. Usually, only a small percentage have some periorbital bruising. I encourage them to be out and be active early post-op and they can be back to work in 7-10 days.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Out after rhinoplasty

+1

You will not injure your nose with acts of daily living.  No contact sports or excessive activity is recommended.  Donald Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Activity following rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Kathy. Your question is a common one. Once your splint is removed, you should remain mindful of your recent surgery, and continue to be more cautious than usual for the first couple of weeks. Although you should avoid contact sports, there is no need to avoid walking in public or going out with friends. I would also avoid any situations where your nose is more likely to be even lightly traumatized - for example during exercise, among crowds, or while interacting with children or pets. Even relatively minor nasal trauma can lead to pain and possible deformity during the early postoperative period. Good luck and best wishes for an uneventful recovery.

James M. Pearson, MD

Activity after rhinoplasty

+1

You should be fine now for day to day activity with friends.You should avoid stenuous activity that would get your heart rate and blood pressure up significantly for three weeks. For about 6 weeks you should refrain from sports activities with potential for contact with your nose.

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Resuming activities after rhinoplasty

+1

It should be perfectly fine to be out in public at this point after surgery. You would want to avoid strenuous activity and contact sports. Just walking around in public at this stage shouldn't be any more dangerous for your nose than normal.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

+1

One week after surgery, you are fine to do day to day activities but not streneous one. Many of my patients go out the next day with the splint on and do well. Mild activities help healing and prevent complications after majority of surgical procedures. I get my patients get up and walk day one.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Activity after rhinoplasty

+1

I ask my patients to refrain from social activities for the first week.  After the first post-op visit when the splints are off then social activities are fine.  No contact sports or activities that would cause trauma or potential trauma to the nose are allowed for six weeks.  Common sense should be your guide in this as well.  Obviously if you are bruised and swollen, a little more time may be advisable.  GHB

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon