Is It Safe for a Pregnant Doctor to Perform Diode or IPL Laser?

My Wife work as Laser physician and we intend to plan our family in a months time. But have a doubt if it is safe for a Preganant doctor and the baby also if diode or IPL laser procedures are performed

Laser Surgery

+1

The light is safe, but working next to any electrical powered device has certain safety questions.  My advice is work as far from the machine as possible, and the best is not to work period by an electrical machine.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

IPL and lasers can only penetrate 3mm or less into the skin

+1

The lasers you are asking about is very safe for pregnant physicians/technicians.  The light can only penetrate about 3-4mm or less into the skin, far away from any fetus, and that is only if the laser is focused and in the appropriate position when directed to the skin.  Ambient laser light is even less penetrating.  I agree with Dr. Krauss that while we avoid pregnant patients, that is more cautionary than true risk. 

Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser treatment by a pregnant physician

+1

Fortunately there is no danger to a pregnant physician while performing laser procedures.  The laser light is very directed toward it's target, the skin of the patient.  Although most of us avoid lasering pregnant patients unless it is medically necessary, the lasers are harmless, and cause no harm to a developing fetus.  They penetrate only into the skin, not deeper.

Boston Dermatologic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.