Is It Safe to Get Pregnant After Botox?

I received Botox injections for the first time in March. My doctor advised against trying to start a family for two months. I took her advise, and I am now pregnant, in my first trimester. The estimated conception date was July 1. Is there any cause for concern for my baby?

Pregnancy after Botox treatment

+1

As the panel members indicated - rest assured, you and baby are quite safe.  With that said, it is highly recommended that you refrain from further Botox treatments during your pregnancy as well as during breast feeding.

You and baby are safe!

+1

Having a Botox treatment 3-4 months before conception is completely safe. All of the Botox molecules injected have long since bond to the neuromuscular receptors in the treatment area and have no potential to cause you or your baby any problems! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

You're in the clear!

+1

Since there were 3 months between your botox treatment and conception, any risks to your baby are highly unlikely and any complications with your pregnancy/delivery or the health of your baby may or may not be able to be attributed to the botox.  That said, avoid botox for the remainder of your pregnancy and while breast-feeding. 

Paul G. Ruff IV, MD, FACS
Washington Plastic Surgeon

It is safe

+1

Botox cosmetic is pregnancy category "C", meaning that NO human or animal studies have been done.  However, the theoretical risk is quite low.  Botox is thought to remain in the area(s) injected, and therefore transit to the fetus would not be likely, especially months afterwar your injection.  Also, any Botox that entered your bloodstream via reabsorption in March would be long gone prior to July.  While no one can say that it is perfectly safe unless large scale human studies had been done, it is very unlikely that Botox can cause a problem under the circumstances you have described.

Harry Mittelman, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy 3-4 months after Botox is perfectly safe!

+1

Any Botox molecules will have securely and irreversibly bound to neuromuscular receptors by the time of your conception, so you can be reassured that your Botox treatment in March will have no ill effect on your baby. Please understand that this is not the same as guaranteeing you that you will have a perfectly-fine and normal baby, just that any rare and extremely unlikely "problem" of any sort will NOT be due to the fact that you had Botox 3-4 months prior to conception. You simply have the same potential for a "normal" pregnancy and baby as any other new mother.

Relax and best wishes for you and your family's new addition!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon