Is It Safe Practical to Have a Breast Lift, Explant and Total Capsulectomy at the Same Time? (photo)

I've Had Meme Implants for 25 Year? Breasts

Is It Safe Practical to Have a Breast Lift, Explant and Total Capsulectomy at the Same Time?

+3

When these were still around and in place for short periods of time, they were quite difficult to removed because of the thickened capsule that formed. But for many patients, after 10 years there would be no remaining polyurethane foam (the coating) and removal can be just as with other implants. If the gel has leaked, the capsule may also be thick 

If either of these are true, it may be safer to limit the procedure to implant removal and capsulectomy, and to regroup in six months regarding the lift. This should be a contingency plan even if the plan is to do all at once. 

Combined Capsulectomy, Breast Implant Removal, and Breast Lift Safe?

+2

You are wise in that you are considering the safety of combining the contemplated procedures. Generally speaking, most patients do well with all of the procedures you are thinking about. However, based on intraoperative findings, on occasion it is better to delay the breast lift for a another day.

As you know, the main concern here is the amount of dissection and the resulting compromise of blood flow ( necessary for tissue survival and healing). Therefore, sometimes these decisions are best made intraoperatively based on clinical assessment of the blood flow present after each step of the procedure performed.

Breast lift and explant

+2

Removing the implants is fine and doing the lift maybe OK too. If you do not have a lot of tissue to mold it can be difficult and therefore delaying the lift may be beneficial in that case.

Explant, Capsulectomy, Breast Lift

+2

I have found this to be safe when all done at the same time.  Conservative elevation of the skin flaps with the lift I have found to be the key.  This procedure is very common place with people having their saline implants removed and replaced with silicone.  The older silicone implants are also common to remove and lift with capsulectomy with or without placing new implants.  Good Luck! 

Thomas P. McHugh, MD

+2

I commonly perform a breast lift at the time of explant  Capsulectomy is done if there is calcification or siliconomas. Often a  capsupotomy ( releasing  of the capsule)  is sufficient

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon