Is It Safe to Have Plastic Surgery in Tijuana Mexico Vs USA?

Is it safe to have surgery in Mexico vs USA

+2

NO!  Can it be safe, potentially.  You asked relative to the USA. The training, regulatory, sterility, and accreditation requirements are different. If you did not have to pay for your surgery out of your own pocket would you ever consider going to Mexico for your surgery?  Please understand that there are excellent world renowned plastic surgeons in Mexico, but even the best surgeons have complications. What will you do then? 

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Safe to Have Plastic Surgery in Tijuana Mexico Vs USA?

+2

I think that you are asking a question that is far too general to answer with any accuracy. In other words, I'm sure there are “safe” places to have surgery in Tijuana and unsafe places to have surgery in the United States ( and vice versa).The fact that you are asking the question leads me to think that you have reasons to be concerned...

In regards to selecting a plastic surgeon, I would suggest that you with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices  concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask  to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

You will find,  while doing your due diligence,  that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you;  again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery;  keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Plastic Surgery in Tijuana - Dr. Luis Suarez

+1
Yes, absolutely about 80% of my patients are American and we have never had any issues surgery always goes flawless we have great hotels and recovery houses we are very close to the border we have transportation local and to and from the airport.

Tijuana is a great place to come for plastic surgery I can assure prices here are much better than in the U.S. We have quality attention in hospitals, doctors and specialists' clinics and labs, all with state of the art technology and experienced bilingual medical staff.

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Safety and risk is a question when traveling to another country for cosmetic surgery

+1
May work well for you but remember if you have a complication you will have to travel back to the original surgoen for care. Many plastic surgeons are unwilling to care for complications that are due to traveling to another country for discount plastic surgery.

Surgery in Mexico

+1

I don't know why you would go to Mexico to have surgery when there are plenty if excellent surgeons in San Diego.  You may save a little money, but think of the hassles.  Traveling, hotel rooms, and most of all having to return if you need revisions of any kind. Not to mention peace of mind.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Safe to have surgery in Tijuana, Mexico? #breastimplant

+1

You seem conflicted by your question. The most important thing is that you choose a board certified surgeon by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You can find a list of surgeons on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery websites. What you need to know is that you have good and bad surgeons all over the world. Being that said, when patients are looking to go abroad for surgery it is usually because they are seeking cheaper surgery. You never want to cut corners with cost. Revision surgery can cost you even more at the end of the day. So, weigh your options, and your reasons for why you ask this question. If this was your family or child would you want them to seek cheap surgery or go to the best surgeon possible no matter what the cost?

Richard J. Brown, MD

+1

I am sure you can find talented surgeons all over Mexico, many having US training. But the reverse is also true. And no matter how good and safe the results, we all have complications now and then and our fees include taking care of those problems. So be prepared financially and timewise in case you have to make trips back for after care. I doubt you will find a local surgeon that will cover for the Mexican physician without very high fees.As to the safety of Tijuana itself, I would worry about that. Best to contact the State Dept re travel to the border towns.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Surgery overseas or in another country

+1

There are certainly qualified surgeons all over the world, but the issue becomes what if you have a post-op problem and you are home?  It is always better to be close to your surgeon so that problems can be treated.  Do not be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Medical Tourism

+1

Thanks for your question. I would highly recommend goggling "Medical Tourism" to find out what the potential risks are for seeking out surgery in a foreign venue. There are a lot of horror stories, particularly in border towns like that (San Antonio being another) where people post-op end up in physicians' offices after they start to have problems, and have no where else to turn.  There is an old phrase "you get what you pay for". When comparing our (United States) health care system to third world countries, I believe that is definitely true. Higher standards of accreditation, certification, etc is not cheaper-- but with something like this, it isn't worth taking on additional risk to the inherent risks already associated with whatever procedure you are considering. Good luck.

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Out of country plastic surgery

+1

You may be lucky and you may not with surgery in another country.  Generally the standard of care is less in some undeveloped countries without the check and balances the US has.  Also if you have a complication, who will deal with it. Do not play Russian roulette with your body.   Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD