Is It Safe to Use Ointment in Eyes for Long Period of Time?

I had upper eyelid surgery 3 months ago,my eyes is dry and still don't shut all the way. I have this weird filling in my eyeball and sticky in my eyelids. I have this tight muscle in my lift eye that made my eye look bigger than the other. should I get a second openion? or if I wait 6 months will my eyes close in time?

Is it safe? It is impossible to answer this question responsibly without a personal consultation.

+2

At three month after eyelid surgery, the inability to close the eyes is a very concerning, potentially vision threatening complication.  If you had eyelid surgery with a general plastic  or facial plastic surgeon, they lack the training, experience, and equipment to properly assess the status of your corneal surface to understand how this complication is affecting the health of your eyes.  I strongly recommend a second opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon.  Ask your eyelid surgeon for a referral or go on the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery website.  There you will find a directory that will help you identify a highly qualified surgeon in your area who can help you.

Lubricating ointment

+2

Yes.  It is safe to use ointment for a prolonged period, if you are using just bland lubricating eye ointment without antibiotics or steroids in it.  I would recommend ointment which is preservative free.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ointment is okay

+1

Using ointment is totally fine long term, as long as its not antibiotics or steroids. As Dr. Kass mentioned, preservative free is preferable as the preservatives can potentially irritate the eyes if used too frequently.

Now, we need to figure out the underlying problem. Having the eyes be a little tight after surgery is normal, but once you are past the three month post operative period, it needs to be re-evaluated.

I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. They can evaluate your eyes for dryness, and address recommend if you need any further intervention. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyes and ointment

+1

Why can't you close your eyes?  You should be able to. It sounds like your eyes have irritation from dry eyes. It should be evaluated.