Is It Safe to Use a Nurse Anesthestist for Tummy Tuck Surgery?

I'm considering having a tummy tuck. The board certified plastic surgeon I'm considering uses a nurse anesthetist. Is this advisable for a full tummy tuck? Or is there no difference between a anesthesiologist or a CNR for this procedure?

Nurses (RNs) and Doctors (MDs) That Give Anesthesia, What is Safe?

+3

YES if there is a supervising MD anesthesiologist available at the facility at all times.  100%   All good facilities have this structure.  Nurses giving anesthesia are excellent and well trained but when a lightening strike occurs, a severe allergy, dangerous complications, etc an MD anesthesiologists must be available immediately.  Facilities run without MD anesthesiologists essentially use the surgeon to serve as the responsible ....   ANESTHESIA PERSON.  I do not know one surgeon colleague including all those at the university that is worth a hoot as an anesthesiologist.  Do not have surgery if an MD anesthesiologist is not immediately available.   If there is MD anesthesiologist suppervision, nurses can be excellent.   Why would a facility not have a MD anesthesiologist 100% of the time.  You can guess.  Yes, to cut costs.  Is is worth cutting corners when your life may be at stake?  If savings occur, are they passed on to you?  Ask a lot of questions and remember that first class places do have nurses giving anesthesia and ALWAYS have at their side an MD anesthesiologist to supervise and to protect......YOU!    Happy Valentines.

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia

+3

Personally my preference is to use an MD anesthesiologist, it is probably what I'd use for my own family.  That being said, many people use registered nurse anesthesists and have for years without problems.  It is within the standard of carre today.  Best wishes,

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

CRNA/MD there is a difference

+2

Many patients are more fearful of anesthesia than surgery.  I always use an MD anesthesiologist because they have more training and broader medical knowledge.  Most of the time a CRNA can safely do the anesthesia for an abdominoplasty, but if an emergency arises will there be an MD anesthesiologist in the operating suite (very nearby) who will assume your care?  It doesn't matter if your surgeon has never had a problem with a CRNA.  The fact is that the training (and cost)  of having a CRNA are less than having a medical doctor.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Anesthesia for a tummy tuck - I prefer an MD

+2

A CRNA can be excellent IF there is an anesthesiologist present in the vicinity for emergencies.  Most times when using an RN this is not the case unless it is done in an outpatient surgery center.  I personally only use real anesthesiologists (MD's) because they are clearly more trained and experienced and will be better able to handle any issues that might arise.  That's what I would want if I were the patient so that's why I do it that way.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

I use MD

+2

I personally use a board certified anesthesiologists, but I know surgeons who only use CRNAs.  When things are straightforward, there may be no difference, but when there is a problem I prefer my physician colleague.  Good luck with your surgery.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

CRNA vs anesthesiologist

+2

CRNAs are well-trained and qualified health care providers, but I perform my abdominoplasty procedures at centers that use an MD anesthesiologist. Many of these facilities also have CRNAs that assist with the case, but are not ultimately in charge.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Board certified anesthesiologist better!

+2

Being an Anesthesiologist has been described to me like being a pilot...its 99.99% routine boredom and 0.01% terror!  Especially because more and more plastic surgical procedures are performed in "Certified Offices" and not in hospitals, I feel more secure as a surgeon (and definitely as a patient) to know that in the event of an emergency I can count on a Board-certified Anesthesiologist!!!  No matter what explanation a Plastic Surgeon may give you for using a Nurse Anesthesiologist or CRNA in his/her office there is only one reason that makes sense...TO SAVE MONEY!!!

Eric Sadeh, MD

CRNA vs Anesthesiologist

+2

I feel that you are safe in having a CRNA perform the anesthesia fir your tummy tuck assuming that the procedure is being performed in a certified facility.  I personally would have no problem with 25 or so CRNAs in this community gving me or a family member general anesthesia.

John Whitt, MD

Nurse anesthetist

+2

A nurse anesthetist is fine to perform your anesthesia for your surgery. I personally use a board certified anesthesiologist.

Nurse anesthitist

+1

I have been using a nurse  anesthetist for 15 years now and she does a remarkable job and is better than or equal to regular M.D.'s and I would let her put any of my family members to sleep.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon