Is It Safe to Have my Ruptured Pip Breast Implants Removed and Replaced During Pregnancy?

I have the pip breast implants and the right one is rupture (as discovered on a ultra sound scan) I'm unsure whats for the best do I have them taken out and replaced during pregnancy or do I wait til after the baby is born? I have been told that if I have them taken out and replaced I risk having a fluid build up in the breast as the breasts change during pregnancy and glands swell. What do you advise? Im 13 weeks pregnant. Thanks

Breast implant replacement during pregnancy

+2

No plastic surgeon is going to perform non-urgent breast implant replacement while you are pregnant. The potential risks to the developing baby from anesthesia and other drugs far outweigh leaving a ruptured breast implant in place for the next year.

Breast surgery during pregnancy

+2
Despite the concern and anxiety you have about a ruptured saline implant during pregnancy there is no compelling reason to have it replaced at this time. It is much safer, makes more sense and more predictable to wait not just until your child is born but until you are no longer breast feeding if you choose too and your breasts have stabilized in size. At that time you can assess if other procedures also need to be done such as a lift for example. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Implant revision during pregnancy ?

+2

I agree with Dr. Kraft and Dr. johnson that you should put off dealing with your breast implants until after your child is born.  Surgery is done during pregnancy in the event of an emergency, and usually safely, but why invite any regrets about your baby's safety?

Mary Lee Peters, MD

PIP breast implant removal during pregnancy

+2
Easy question---elective surgery should not be performed during pregnancy because of the risks to the fetus from aesthetic and narcotic agents. You should wait until after giving birth and recuperating from the pregnancy before replacing the implants.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Best to leave your implants alone until after pregnancy

+2

These days it seems difficult to get even a Tylenol during pregnancy, and the safest course for you and your baby is to delay removal of your PIP implants until after your deliver, rupture or not. The risk to you leaving them for a time is quite small.

Replacing Deflated Breast Implants during Pregnancy

+1

Few of us would perform non-emergent, elective, much less cosmetic operations on pregnant patients. Doing so puts both mother and child at potential risks. Unless you have a compelling situation(infection, cancer, injury, ruptured appendix etc), there is no reason why the implant cannot be replaced after you are done breast feeding .

Good Luck

Memphis, TN

Removal of Breast Implants during Pregnancy?

+1

You should wait on having any elective breast surgery until after you have delivered.

Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy.

Replacing ruptured implant while pregnant.

+1
You should wait until after you complete your pregnancy before having elective surgery to remove and replace your implant(s) to avoid risk to your unborn child from medications and anesthesia. This risk is likely greater than having ruptured implants for a while longer.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon