Is It Safe to Have my Breast Implants Removed in my Doctors Office??

Hi, i am 24 years old and have had silicone breast implants for 2 years. And i am wanting them out! My Dr. who put them in, told me he would take them out for free in his office. That he would only numb my breasts, not put me out. Being awake sorta scares me.. But i have no money, so i am considering this. So my question is, Is this safe? Do other doctors do this? Also, his office is located in a hospital, but the procedure would be done in his office not a surgery room. Please help me!

Removal of Breast Implants under Local Anesthesia?

+1

As you can imagine, it is not possible to give you precise advice without knowing more about the surgeon who is performing the procedure.

However, generally speaking, it is safe to remove breast implants under local anesthesia. This is especially true for smooth  implants ( as opposed to textured). This is also assuming  that your plastic surgeon is not planning on additional work involving the breast implant capsules.

If in doubt, you may want to address your specific concerns with your plastic surgeon again prior to proceeding.

Hello

+1

You did not mention whether he will be removing the scar tissue or just the implants. It is important that you feel comfortable about having it done in office.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

I personally would prefer to do that in an accredited facility to reduce risk of infection. However, if the implants are smooth surfaced and not ruptured it could probably be done easily in his office. It may be he has a minor surgery room in his office for things of this sort. I think you need to discuss this more thoroughly with your surgeon.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD