Is It Safe to Have Multiple Procedures in One Surgery?

35, 5'11 201 (80lbs lost) I plan to have: Bilateral Gynecomastia (with skim removal) and Free Nipple Graft, Tummy Tuck/Panni, as well as a Brachioplasty. Some Surgeons have stated they will not do more then 2 procedures at one time as they consider it dangerous for the body, while others said that all 3 procedures are safe to do. I am concerned I may be in too much pain or my body will react badly to all the skin removal. I considered doing top half then later lower. Safe to have all 3 done?

Bilateral Gynecomastia, nipple graft, tummy tuck and branchioplasty

+1

It could be done within the 5 to 6 hours window for out-patient procedures. The pain and recovery is more of a personal tolerance issue. None of these procedures are overwhelmingly painful.

Safety for multiple procedures

+1

I think that the combination of procedures you describe could be done in one setting provided you had appropriate after care. In my opinion that means being in a hospital or some setting where a registered nurse could keep an eye on you closely. It also requires the surgeon to be able to do a good job on all the procedures, not just the first two. You don't want to cut corners just to get it all in. Finally you need to be committed to the recovery. My main concern would be that you will need to use your arms to help yourself get in and out of bed because of your tummy surgery. this may put a little too much stress on your arms immediately after surgery.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Multiple procedures and safety

+1

This is best answered by a surgeon who has examined you and knows your medical history.  Multiple procedures can be performed together but it really does depend on the patient's health and if it can be performed safely.

I recommend that you visit with board certified plastic surgeons who can show you similar results and get their best recommendations regarding performing these procedures at the same time.

Good Luck!

Gynecomastia surgery along with other procedures following weight loss

+1

In most cases gynecomastia surgery can be safely combined with other procedures such as a tummy tuck.  However, with each added procedure comes added risks.  Depending on your overall health, the amount of blood or fluid loss expected with your procedures, post op pain, etc. adding further procedure may or may not be in your best interest.  Have your surgeon check with your primary physician to better assess if adding the third procedure is a good idea, in your case.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Plastic Surgery Procedures

+1

These procedures should be safe to do together as long as your surgeon feels that he or she can complete the procedures in a safe amount of time.  I believe the procedures you mentioned can be completed all together in about five hours.  Sometimes it is better to combine procedures so you only have to go under anesthesia one time, but you should get multiple surgical opinions so you can find the doctor that makes you feel the most comfortable with your decision.  

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Multiple procedures

+1

I think cosmetic procedures can be combined, but need to be determined by the overall health of the patient.  The overall length of the procedures needs to be taken into consideration.  Sometimes patients prefer to combine procedures to minimize recovery time.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Combination procedures

+1

I am conservative about this. The surgical time should not exceed about 5 hours; after that there is a significant incidence of increase in complications.    If you have all these procedures, you will basically be immobilized and this will not be a positive factor in your recovery.  I would recommend dividing the procedures.  You also have not stated whether you lost the weight as the result of bariatic surgery; many bariatric patients have iron deficiencies and other blood abnormalities which would militate against excessively long procedures.

Robert L. Kraft, MD