How Safe is It Having Multiple Procedures?

I'm 26 years old, I don't drink or smoke! I have 4 kids! and Im considering having a mommy makeover! but i wanted to know is it safe having multiple procedures done at the same time???? I wanted the tummy tuck, lipo, and breast lift with implants.

Multiple procedures and safety

Many plastic surgeons are very comfortable performing multiple procedures and can do so in a very safe manner. The types of procedures that are combined and the total length of time that the surgery will take are often the limiting factors. I try to limit my operative time for elective procedures in my surgical suite to about 6 hours. The procedures that you listed should be safe in a single surgery depending upon the amount of liposuction. Most plastic surgeons would agree that liposuction should be limited in the setting of an abdominoplasty and other procedures as there is quite a bit of literature outlining the increased risk when completing high volume liposuction with other procedures. A very conservative surgeon will limit the liposuction to 1 liter of aspirate, but others have shown safety in as much as 5 liters of aspirate. Anything more and I think that the risk profile becomes significant. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

300 Keisler Drive
Cary, NC 27518

Multiple procedures are often times performed by plastic surgeons.

After pregnancy many women have multiple aesthetic issues. In healthy patients combined procedures are often performed to minimize convalescence and cost.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Safety of multiple procedures in mommy makeover

Combining a tummy tuck, lipo of the love handles and a breast augmentation with a lift is safe provided that you are young, healthy, do not smoke or use drugs, and are not overweight.  You must be sure that you are using an experienced board certified plastic surgeon however.  Good luck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

415 E. Southlake Blvd.
Southlake, TX 76092

Multiple procedures in one setting

Mommy makeover is more popular than ever. If you are healthy and not significantly overweight, this combination of procedure may be safely performed in one setting. I like to keep the overall length of surgery at 6 hours or less, otherwise I may consider keeping my patient overnight if surgery is much longer than that. Have a frank discussion with your surgeon, find out about his or her comfort level about multiple procedures and make sure you are comfortable with it as well. It's been done safely on numerous appropriately selected patients. Your surgeon should be able to determine if you are a suitable candidate.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

76 N Hudson Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

Provided none of the proposed operations would require more than a "average" amount of time (which might be the case if you are considerably overweight), that were are not talking total body liposuction, this would be a commonly done combination procedure. Surgical risks start to grow when surgery lasts too long. I try to stick with 4 hours, most in the US will limit to 6 hours without a hospital admission. Still, that may be safer than two separate operations and anesthetics. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

How safe is it having multiple procedures?

The interest and demand for the performance of multiple surgical procedures at the same time has steadily risen over the last several years. This increase is due to greater demand for the Mommy Make Over and also the increasing number of patients who successfully lose a great deal of weight either through diet and exercise or weight loss surgery. The weight loss patients often have several areas of residual loose skin requiring different procedures to provide recontouring.
There are many important benefits of performing combination surgery. When multiple procedures are performed at the same time the patient has one recovery time, one anesthesia and it is less expensive than when the procedures are performed separately. These benefits however can only be achieved if the procedures are performed with safety as the primary consideration.
Multiple surgical procedures can safely be performed at the same time providing; it is done by an experienced, properly trained plastic surgeon with a team who routinely and efficiently performs combination procedures, the patient is properly selected for the procedures and proper safety guidelines are closely adhered to.
One of the most important factors in performing several procedures at the same time is the length of surgery. Although there is no universally agreed upon time limit most surgeons would probably agree that the limit falls between 4-6 hours. Many surgeons use 5 hours as a limit. Complication rates begin to rise as the length of surgery exceeds this time frame. In order to safely and effectively perform several procedures within this timeframe it is very important that the surgeon and his or her team are highly trained and routinely perform these combinations in an efficient manner.
A very important member of the team is the anesthesiologist. An anesthesiologist who routinely performs with the team understands the various details important to an ideal outcome and ideal postoperative recovery.
In order to properly select patients for lengthy surgical procedure such as this many factors need to be taken into consideration. Some these include the patient's BMI, any history of pulmonary problems, a history of sleep apnea, and the presence of diabetes or heart problems. Every patient should undergo a risk assessment for the development of a DVT (blood clot) and/or pulmonary embolism. If a significant risk is identified appropriate steps must be taken to satisfactorily reduce the risk.
When preparing a patient for a combination procedure it is very important to properly educate them on what to expect during the recovery and the homecare they will need.
Many patients comment that the results of these combinations are truly life-changing. Fortunately today, these life-changing combination procedures can be safely performed as long as it is done by highly trained and efficient surgical teams on properly selected patient's with safety as the primary consideration.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Mommy Makeover procedures are common

It is very common to undergo multiple procedures during the same operative session. It is important that your health is optimum and you fit all the qualifications required for a prolonged surgery and recovery. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs these procedures frequently.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

4911 South 118 Street
Omaha, NE 68137

If you are healthy, IT IS SAFE.

Dear Mommie of Twins,
If you are healthy, it is perfectly safe to combine multiple procedures.  I would suggest staging the breast lift and augmentation (it is safer to stage this combination - and the results are better.)  A good combination is the breast lift, tummy tuck, and flank liposuction.  You should find a surgeon comfortable with these procedures so that it is completed in less than 6 hours (lower DVT / PE risk).  Later consider the augmentation.  Everyone wants to complete the lift / augmentation at once, but spend some time looking over the photo galleries of surgeons who perform the combined procedure with those who stage it.  You can make your own decision regarding which results look better.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

410 North Carroll Avenue
Southlake, TX 76092

Combo procedure are safe

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. Your surgeon may recommend an overnight stay depending on the overall length of your procedure(s).  Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030

Safety of having multiple procedures performed

The procedures that you have listed could be performed at one procedure.  Depending on the complexity of your procedures, these may usually be performed within 4-6 hours.  I try to limit my surgical procedures to 6 hours or less, or I may consider a short hospital stay for observation.  

As long as you are healthy, young, non-smoker, and without medical comorbidities (e.g., obesity, cardiac disease, diabetes, etc.), I would hope that you would be a good candidate to have these all performed at once.  Your surgeon will take all measures to keep you safe intraoperatively and postoperatively.  Certainly an evaluation and examination by a board certified plastic surgeon should be done to determine if you are a candidate for this lengthy procedure and assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you.  Hope that this helps!  Good luck!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260