Is It Safe to Lose Weight After Rhinoplasty?

I am an 18 year old female and had Rhinoplasty 3 weeks ago, and I've got a holiday coming up in a couple of weeks and would like to lose a few pounds. I am in the healthy weight range but would still like to lose a little weight, mainly because I put quite a bit in in the last few weeks and don't like the fact that I suddenly can't fit into all my shorts. Would it be safe to do this? Would it increase the risk of infection or harm my recovery? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these.

Exercise and Weight Loss After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hello. You should not participate in contact sports or heavy exercises for about five weeks after rhinoplasty as this may lead to bleeding. Losing weight will not affect your results, but you will want to keep the exercises light to avoid complications.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Weight Loss after Rhinoplasty

+2

There is no contraindication of losing weight after Rhinoplasty and this will not harm your recovery if done in a healthy way. While recovering it is important to have proper nutrients and vitamins so eat healthy, stop the carbohydrates, have plenty of protein and you will be on your way to a slimmer you in your shorts!! Best regards and good luck! Michael V.Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Loosing Weight Effect After Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi,

Congrats on your surgery.

Loosing weight after rhinoplasty should not affect the outcome of the surgery.

That being said, you will need to be well nourished so you do not slow your recovery pace down; the daily intake of vitamins and amino acids is necessary.

I hope this helps and please do not forget to follow your surgeon's instructions religiously.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS