When is It Safe to Have Liposuction After Breast Reduction?

Can I do Liposuction for multiple areas after 2 weeks of having Breast Reduction surgery (only 2 cup sizes)? Or I have to wait more? Thank you.

Second surgery 2 weeks after breast reduction not recommended

+1

I would not recommend this. Your body needs to heal and this takes at least 3 months. If you have a second surgery so close to the first, your energy level will be depleted, your recovery will take longer and you could have some wound healing problems. In my opinion elective surgery should be done under ideal conditions -- this is not ideal.

Breast reduction surgery and liposuction

+1

you need to make sure that depending on which body sites undergo lipsosuction, that your surgeon is not recommending post operative garments that would interfere wtih the support garment you should be wearing after the reduction. You should also be feeling very good without tenderness and you should not feel restricted in breathing in deeply after your breast surgery while undergoing liposuction, so make sure that the appropriate number of weeks go by to make you feel good. Everyone heals at a different rate. There are surgeons who would do all procedures at the same time, but the risk of surgical complications increases with increased operative time so separating the surgeries by several weeks is more ideal for some. Be sure to ask your surgeon how much time would be involved with the liposuction and the breast surgery if you were to consider doing both together and ask if it is safe to do so.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction after Breast Reduction

+1

As long as the healing is going well, I would consider performing liposuction on different areas of the body after a patient has undergone breast reduction. I would not perform liposuction of the bra rolls but other areas would be fine.

Liposuction can also be performed at the same time as the breast reduction surgery as long as the operative time is kept reasonable and safe.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

When is it safe to have Liposuction after Breast Reduction?

+1

It would be better if the 2 operations are done at the same surgery if there is not excess blood loss in the reduction and the amount of Liposuction is less than 2 liters. Otherwise I would do the liposuction 2 weeks after the "small" reduction only if you repeat the bllod count to see if your levels are acceptable. In other words not anemia from surgery.

Also, only if you feel up to the second surgery. Please discuss this in extreme detail with the operating surgeon. I assume both operations are being done by the same surgeon.

Regards and Merry Merry

Timing of Liposuction after Breast Reduction

+1

I would think that both procedures can best be done at the same time. Barring that, since there is nothing to gain by doing it at 2 weeks, I would wait until you are fully recovered to do the liposuction.

Dr. P. Aldea

Liposuction and Breast Reduction

+1

A reduction mamoplasty and multiple areas of liposuction can be done safely performed on the same patient at the same time under the same general anesthesia. 

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Timing of liposuction surgery after breast reduction

+1

It is technically doable, but I think it is better to wait a few more weeks to allow your body to heal more before having the second procedure. Any surgery is a trauma to your body and I think you need to allow yourself more time to recover.

Caroline Min, MD

Timing between breast reduction and liposuction

+1

There are a couple of issues to consider in timing between the 2 operations. Most important is just that you feel good and aren't weak from the first surgery. The other thing is that there may be a slight increase in the risk of certain complications such as blood clots but after a couple of weeks this shouldn't be a major concern.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction after breast reduction

+1

Certainly liposuction can be done at the same time as a breast reduction, but now that you are just a couple of week post- reduction, you probably are better off waiting until you are completely healed. I would wait a few months at least.

Liposcution is safe after breast reduction

+1

Hi Hanna,

If you are healthy you should be able to do liposuction after two weeks of having breast reduction surgery. It might also be possible to do both at the same time to only have one anesthetic. If you want to split the procedures then you want to make sure you are feeling well and strong before doing a second procedure.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon