What is SAFE Liposuction?

Has anyone heard of this? This is how it was explained to me: The liposuction that the doctor discussed with you during your consultation was SAFE liposuction, utilizing a basket cannula to break up the fat , followed by suction to remove the fat, then again with the basket cannula to smooth out the fat, resulting in a smoother, tighter appearance. I cannot find any reference to this particular technique anywhere on the Internet.

SAFE(TM) Liposuction is the method I have adopted because it is safe and still is after 3 years

+3

Update 2013:  Now 3 years later I am even more convince that SAFElipo (TM) technique is both safe and effective.  The results are the best I have ever achieved.  My results with SAFElipo are also as good or better than what I have achieved in the past with Ultrasound assisted or Power assisted liposuction without the increased risk associated with these energized techniques.

Original Answer 2010:  I have adopted the method of SAFE(TM) liposuction and believe it is an excellent and safe method.  It does employ traditional tumescent injections before the liposuction followed by exactly what you have described.  The area is pretunneled by a basket cannula.  Traditional SAL is next performed using a angle cannula.   Then a basket cannula is used to smooth the area and avoid high and low areas.  Dr. Wall believes this last step leaves some fat that has been rearranged into a layer of newly formed fat grafts which help rejuvenate and tighten the skin because of the effect of the stem cells.

This method was presented at the last American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons national meeting in April, 2010 in Washington DC.   I was in attendance when Dr. Simeon Wall spoke and was very impressed with the candid nature of his discussion and the results he showed.

I really thought it might be time to consider adding one of the new techniques of Liposuction to our practice at Sarasota Plastic Surgery.  I also attended Dr. Gordon Sasaki's instructional course where he presented a comparison of all of the latest energized techniques of Liposuction.  This included ultrasound assisted, water assisted, laser assisted ,power assisted, etc.  He admitted that none of these techniques was clearly better in all respects than Tumescent liposuction and many had increased risked.  I asked him, point blank, which energized Liposuction machine I should buy  if I were bound and determined to add a new liposuction technique to my practice.  He said,"At this point I would not buy any of them!"  This is a world expert and a very thoughtful man saying this and I have a lot of respect for his opinion.

Since I have adopted the SAFE(TM) technique I believe my results are much improved and I am seeing some good contraction of the skin.  I hope this helps you in you search for the safest and most effective liposuction technique.

Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Safe liposuction.

+2

There have been several "new" liposuction techniques which have been heavily marketed in the media.  Laser lipo, smart lipo, ultrasonic lipo, water jet assisted lipo, etc.  The new techniques,  which  proclaimed to be "better, safer, faster, less recovery time, with less bruising, are a triumph of marketing over science.  I know of no scientific paper which shows significantly improved results from any of these "new" procedures as opposed to carefully done Tumescent liposuction.  So if you nor any of the surgeons who have already answered this questions can find any reference to this SAFE liposuction, I would avoid it.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

SAFE Liposuction

+2

I have never seen the acronym SAFE liposuction in the scientific literature nor heard it at a meeting. There is a technique that uses a basket cannula or a "potato masher" cannula to break up the fat before it is suctioned out. In my practice, I use the "potato masher" instrument in large volume liposuction. It speeds up the removal of large amounts of tissue.

If liposuction is performed following national standards and guidelines at an accredited facility by a trained experienced surgeon, all liposuction is safe. It is surgery, but medical problems are rare when the rules are followed.

Good luck,

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

SAFE lipo

+1

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Simeon Wall from New Orleans after his presentation of his SAFE technique. It was described nicely in previous posts.  I will say he is a solid guy and stands to make nothing or very little from the promulgation of his technique.  He believes in it, is passionate and happy to share it with anyone interested.  this is the complete refreshing opposite of most entrepreneur/surgeons trying to retire after selling the public a marketed/ hyped bullsh-t procedure with a catchy name.  I personally believe in the principles of pre-tunneling (described over 30 years ago) and suction followed by smoothing passes, whatever you call it. the role of Ultrasonic or Laser is to obfuscate and confuse the pt into choosing technology over surgeon. a mistake in my opinion. hope this helps. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

SAFE liposuction

+1

although I am unfamiliar with thistechnique it is not yet a mainstream approach.. Liposuction is safely done when there is attention to detail and the tumescent technique is employed.  The cannulais moved at a certain plane but an aggressive cannula moved in the superficial plane, too superficially, could cause a dent.  In other words, no liposuction treatment, includilng SmartLipo is guaranteed not to cause a complication.  Nothing is risk-free.

Ronald Shelton, MD

SAFE liposuction

+1

SAFE liposuction is advertising hype rather than any scientific basis and should not be taken to mean that it's safer, "better", or will have a better outcome over other approaches. 

Safe liposuction, on the other hand, can be done with virtually any technique and involves pulling out only the excess fat cells evenly without cutting or damaging the skin or structures between the skin and the muscle level. It also involves avoiding creating scar tissue. Proper sterile technique and utilizing the readily available methods to avoid excessive blood loss are also assumed. 

Liposuction can also be safely done under local anesthesia which avoids issues associated with general anesthesia but this is not to imply that general anesthesia is unsafe or is to be avoided at all costs. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

SAFE Liposuction

+1

The safest liposuction in my opinion is usually with tradtional techniques using tumescent solution and egular cannulas.

What is SAFE Liposuction?

+1

I researched goggle, einstein medical, ASPS site and find no mention of a "SAFE" liposuction technique. Sounds like your doc is inventing his own treatment. From MIAMI 

Brandname Liposuction

+1

There is a basic principle to all liposuction methods - sucking out the fat.  The fat can be sucked directly or pre-treated with a laser, ultrasound, water jet, or any of several methods which all used a mechanical or thermal method to loosen or destroy the fat before removal.  If you cannot find reference to a certain procedure on the Web, I would be very cautious about it.  It sounds more like someone came up with a brandname for a procedure to increase their marketing.  Please make sure that you are being seeing and treated by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD