Is It Safe to Use Juvederm or Restylane (Tear Trough Region) for Many Years?

Hello! I had rhinoplasty 3 months ago & now have noticeable hollows under my eyes. I expressed my concerns to my PS, and he discussed fat transfer with me. I am NOT ready for this, as I am not coping well with my rhinoplasty results. We then discussed using Juvederm or Restylane in the tear trough area. Are these safe to use continually for years? Could it end up thinning the skin even more and I would have to stop? Could it mess up the possibility of fat transfer/eyelid surgery down the road?

Juvederm and Restylane Are Very safe To Use For a Long Time In the Tear Troughs

+2

Both Juvederm and Restylane work very well in the tear trough area. They not only are smooth enough to give a great result but can be used for many years without concerns. Initially we were injecting the filler just underneath the skin which, because the eyelid skin is so thin, could sometimes cause the skin surface to be uneven. Because of that, we usually now inject the filler deep to the muscle. Not only does this give a very smooth filling, but since it is well beneath the skin surface you don't have to worry about thinning of the skin. It lasts for about 9 months and does not preclude you from being able to use fat in the future.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm/Restylane injected to tear trough

+2

Hello, it is very safe to use either filler in the tear trough area. If you want to add some fat in the future to the same area that will be fine with no adverse effect. These products do not thin your skin and it is quite safe to use for years.

David Alessi, MD

Juvederm or Restylane in tear troughs long term effects and safety?

+1

Both products are safe to use long term; but because Restylane is a bit softer it  is usually a better choice for the thin skin area under the eyes. Fillers do not cause thinning of the skin and do not interfere with fat transfer when you are ready.

Sam Naficy, MD

Restylane for tear troughs

+1

Restylane is my preferred filler for the tear trough area and is safe to use if injected by an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Juvederm usually causes too much puffiness since it retains too much water in the tear trough area.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Safe to Use Juvederm or Restylane in Tear Trough Region for Many Years

+1

Restylane (preferably) and Juvederm can be used in the tear trough area. However, the risks in this area are significant, and the treatment should only be performed by an experienced and expert physician injector. Fat transfer may always be an option for the future.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Fillers are safe for hollowness under eyes (tear trough area)

+1

We communicate with another person by looking at their eyes when we speak. Having hollowness under the eyes is very aging. An excellent way to improve this is with hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers. I have always preferred Resylane because it doesn't retain water as much as Juvéderm does, and therefore doesn't run the risk of creating an inadvertent puffiness. However, now that Belotero is here, I love the soft and natural appearance that can be achieved with it.

Regarding safety:

• seek a well-trained and highly experienced physician who does a lot of filler in this location
  • hyaluronic acid is always reversible and never permanent; fat can be permanent 
  • HA's will have no long-term negative consequences on skin
  • more permanent options such as fat transfer or an eyelid surgery would not be compromised

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Safe

+1

Fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm are ideal for use in tear trough region and can be reversed if you are not pleased with the results. Fat grafting in the future is a possible. Obviously you would need to wait for the effect of the Restylane or Juvederm to wear off before doing fat grafting.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon