Is It Safe to Get an Ipl Prior to Pregnancy?

I had my first ipl photo facial in June to rid freckles. I managed to protect myself from the sun despite my honeymoon last month. My first session went wellbut i still have spots left and I would like to schedule a 2nd session Nov/Dec. is this safe considering I plan to get pregnant in dec/jan? I do not want to worsen freckles or risk pigmentation issues (I'm half asian, half Caucasian).

Getting IPL prior to pregnancy

+1

There are no problems whatsoever in having IPL done prior to pregnancy. Go ahead and get your treatment with no concerns - importantly, get your treatments at a medical clinic for optimal results and safety.  ~Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

IPL

+1

There should be no issue with having IPL treatment prior to pregnancy.  It should not however be administered while pregnant.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Is it safe to get an IPL prior to pregnancy?

+1

There should not be any issue if you wish to have an IPL treatment prior to pregnancy.  However, since there have been no documented studies performed, I would recommend avoiding the treatment while you are pregnant. You will obtain the best result with 4-5 sessions that are generally spaced 3-4 weeks apart. With that being said, I would recommend having any additional treatments after your pregnancy. Thank you, and I hope this helps. I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

IPL and pregnancy

+1

It is safe to have IPL sessions before you are pregnant, but most physicians do not recommend having IPL treatments during a pregnancy.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

IPL and Pregnancy

+1

IPL (intense pulsed light) also known as "photo Facial" is not known to adversely affect pregnancy, to the best of my knowledge.  By itself it does not involve chemicals, drugs or dangerous radiation.  You might however develop more pigmentation during your pregnancy (melasma/mask of pregnancy) which could require further treatments 

later. Always check with your physician however before undergoing any treatments during pregnancy. 

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon