Is It Safe Going into Surgery for Six Hours Saline Breast Augmentation, Nipple Reduction, and Tummy Tuck?

+1

Most Regulatory Boards in most states have agreed that so long as the surgery is carried out at an accredited facility, by appropriately board-certified anesthesiologists and surgeons, 6 hours is safe upper limit.  However, in most experienced hands 6 hours for saline BA, nipple reduction, and TT is somewhat too long.  Please make sure that your plastic surgeon is experienced in the area you are interested in and certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Safety of longer cosmetic surgery procedures

+1

Six hours is about the limit for safe outpatient elective cosmetic surgery. Any longer, and you should probably be in an overnight recovery facility monitored by a nurse.

As long as you are otherwise in good health with no medical problems you should do fine. It is important that your surgery be done at a fully accredited surgery center and that an anesthesiologist be present for the entire case.

Zol Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Mommy Makeover

+1

The procedure you describe is referred to as a Mommy Makeover and is performed frequently for patients who are healthy. With all the advances in surgical techniques and anesthesia, 6 hours is very safe, again as long as you are healthy. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Mommy makeover

+1

As long as the patient is in good health without significant co- morbidities. Then 6 hours of Anesthesia time in an outpatient setting is reasonable. DVT prophylaxis, volume status, core temperature and realistic expectations must also be part of the equation.

Stephen E. Metzinger, MD
Metairie Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Multiple Procedures: “Mommy Makeovers” ?

+1

Combination procedures including a breast augmentation, nipple reduction and tummy tuck, usually referred to as a “Mommy Makeover” are commonly performed. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures. Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. I would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with any of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck together with breast surgery

+1

6 hours is within the range of most outpatient surgical procedures but that does not mean that your surgery will take that amount of time. I have performed tummy tucks alone that take 3 hours and others that have taken 5+ hours. It depends on the amount/extent of tissue removed, whether or not liposuction is performed at the same time etc. In some patients I would be willing to do breast surgery at the same time as a tummy tuck but in others I would only be willing to them as 2 separate operations. From the limited information in your post it is impossible to say if the option you describe is the best option.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship in order to know if this assessment is valid.

Aaron Stone, MD

Patients undergoing six hours of surgery should be in good health and well prepared.

+1

Six hours is acceptable for elective cosmetic surgery if the patient is healthy and prepare for the operation. This would include adequate hydration and preparation for blood clot prophylaxis.

Multiple procedures

+1

There are many factors in determining if a patient is a good candidate for these procedures.  Health history and current health status must be taken into account.  For healthy patients with a low risk profile these procedures are commonly performed safely at the same time.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast augmentation for 6 hours

+1

I think it is dependent upon the patient's overall health.  These two procedures are commonly performed together. 

6 hours of surgery

+1

In a healthy non obese person that should be a safe procedure.  Your surgery should be done by a board certified plastic surgeon in an accredited facility.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD