Is It Safe to Have Full Tummy Tuck Combined with Lipo of the Full Back Within a Week of Each Other? Part 2

thank you all for resp. to previous question. iam 35yo 5 8 246 lbs my weight has been stable for 10 yrs.tho the ps sug i lose at least 20 lbs. i carry most of my weight in my stomach sorry i donot have any pics...the nyc ps suggested i split the 2 for safety reasons stating the amount of fat/tissue that has to be removed for the tt it wouldn't be safe to proceed w a full back lipo the same day and that i can put a week bet the 2 procedures.iam comfortable w having the 2 procedures but not the time frame. any suggest

Full Tummy Tuck Combined with Lipo of the Full Back Within a Week of Each Other

+1

Based on these details, it would be unsafe to have both procedures together. After you lose the requested weight, I would recommend meeting with both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist so the three of you can determine the optimal interval between the two surgeries. You may need to lengthen the period to more than a month.

+1

I have to agree with the others...At your weight, the risks of complications and death for such large procedures are too high...and I agree as well that the results will not be worth the risk.....

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

+1

If you are 250 and 5'8"'  you should probably lose weight before undergoing either procedure.  Good luck.

Length of separation between tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

There certainly is no harm is waiting longer between the procedures and it may be safer. I wouldn't be in a rush to get too much done too close together. If it were me, I would want to wait and heal for a minimum of 6-8 weeks between procedures.

In addition, regarding the tummy tuck, if a significant amount of your tummy tissue is behind your abdominal muscles, then this won't be removed at the time of tummy tuck. Your tummy may not get as flat as you want it. 

Discuss this and all your questions specifically with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes. 

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Liposuction back, abdomen, tummy tuck in an overweight patient

+1

Hello,  It was interesting reading the responses to part one and part two now that you have given us additional information.  The simple answer is that with the current information no one can give you an accurate answer without photos and an examination.  This is something that your plastic surgeon has knowledge of. 

It is possible to liposuction your back and then within a reasonable period of time do something to your abdomen.  That being said, the liposuction of your back will be difficult and tedious and the postoperative discomfort will make you think twice about having you abdomen done soon after. Other safety issues need to be addressed.

The next question is what can be done to your abdomen at your current weight.  Some of the answer depends on where the fat is.  If the fat is visceral, that is inside your abdomen around your intestines and internal organs, then a tummy tuck and liposuction of the abdomen will not work.  If, onthe other hand,  most of the fat is external (on top of)l to your muscles and you have a pannculus (skin and fat that hang over you pubic area), then it may be possible to remove fat with liposuction to decrease the bulk of the tissue and remove the hanging skin and fat ( a panniculectomy).  At 248 pounds I doubt that your plastic surgeon is considering a full abdominoplasty as we know it. 

As all have said, if you can lose the weight do this first.  However, my guess is that you have been heavy most of your life.  If the fat is in the right place, liposuction may make you a little smaller,  and sometimes this can make a significant difference.  Good Luck.

John Borkowski, MD
Hartford Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic surgery in the overweight patient

+1

A full tummy tuck in a 5'8" 246 pound individual is asking for trouble. Adding liposuction on top of that is screaming for trouble. The surgical/wound complication rate for tummy tuck in that setting is so high that it is highly unlikely that you will be ready for a second procedure a week later. You need weight loss surgery not body contouring cosmetic surgery. If you still do not believe that you should see one of the NYC doctors who have responded to your post here.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Of course this is not the answer you want to hear, but it's not much different from some of the other consultants. I would not consider either liposuction or tummy tuck at your current body weight. It's not that it can't be done, it is just a waste of your funds and a wast of the surgery since the changes you want to see can't be possible at your current BMI. Your question is not uncommon, but it is our job to keep our patients safe and give them value for their money. You get neither at your current status.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Two procedures one week apart

+1
Putting aside the issue of whether you are a candidate for either surgery, most board certified anesthesiologists will not participate in cosmetic procedures one week apart. The minimum time between procedures, to avoid anesthesia complications, is 4 weeks and, when a tummy tuck is involved, I would prefer a 6 week interval.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+1

Without seeing you in person or evaluating before and after pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  However, based on your description, it may be best for you to concentrate on weight loss prior to having plastic surgery.  Liposuction and Tummy Tuck are not for weight loss, but only for contouring the body.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

You are a candidate for weight loss not surgery

+1

You are a candidate for weight loss not surgery - your BMI is almost 40. Most plastic surgeons will not do a full tummy tuck on patients with a BMI over 30.   You need to lose at least 50 lbs before I would operate on you. Surgery is not a treatment of obesity.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD