Is It Safe to Have a Full Tummy Tuck Combined with Lipo of the Full Back Within a Week of Each Other?

the surgeon i am considering suggested that iam able to preform my procedures within a week of each other

Tummy tuck and lipo safety

+4

Dear Jus2juicy,

If you were my patient, I would suggest you to only undergo Liposuction of your entire abdomen, flanks and back ( your mid-section ) first.

It will take a full 6 weeks to just recover from the swelling, wearing Spanx and exercising post-operatively. the plus: you will hardly need to take time off from work, and minimal scars. and after the 1 st day, the pain is very tolerable.

most patients will continue to lose weight and settle nicely up to 6 months post-op, assuming you keep up with a high protein diet and exercise.

at 6 months then, you could consider a full tummy tuck: the procedure can be done faster, since not combined with liposuction. this will minimize the ever present risk of blood clots, infection, bleeding etc..

a full tummy tuck is a more invasive procedure, and will require you take at least 10 days - 2 weeks off from work. and 6 weeks with no exercise. we all have a busy life and I found my patients prefer this mode of proceeding since it is way easier to get organized, financially, personally and socially. and with the weight loss from the liposuction, it is a nicer result with the tummy tuck.

your surgeon should be a Board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Good Luck

Florence Mussat

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

While liposuction and a tummy tuck are frequently performed together, there may be details of your case that make your surgeon recommend to break it up. The typical procedure is to do the liposuction followed by the tummy tuck.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and lipo of the back

+1

If you are healthy I am not sure why you would't have both the lipo and the tummy tuck performed at the same time?  Good luck.

Large liposuction and a tummy tuck one week apart

+1

Without seeing what your abdomen looks like, I think that waiting 6 weeks or more would be wiser. Surgery that close has not allowed the healing to take place and you will still be in a low activity position and some amount of lower blood count. If the areas are too large to be done all together in one setting, then staging them further apart is a safer option.

Julio Garcia, MD

Is It Safe to Have Full Tummy T. Combo w/ Lipo of Full Back W/in a Wk of Each Other?Answr:

+1

I usually would perform these two procedures at the same time. However, if you and your surgeon prefer to break them up, it is perfectly safe to do so. I personally, would do the back liposuction first, followed by the TT. That way I am not placing you face down on the OR table on a fresh TT incision, muscle tightening and possible drain!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Why not simultaneously?

+1

I routinely do entire back liposuction in conjunction with a full abdominoplasty.  This saves an extra anesthetic and prolonged recovery period.  If the plan is for you to have it done within a week I see no reason(unless there are state medical guidelines) as to why you could not do it all at once.

Leonard Hochstein, MD

Liposuction of the Back combined with a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

Plastic surgeons usually separate (or stage) operations into separate procedures based on safety considerations either based on your weight / health, the duration of the operation(s), violation of the blood supply to the skin by one of the procedures or considerations of the number and locations of soreness and after surgery pain making for a very hard recovery. Another consideration is the use of  a compression garment after surgery. These garments provide some comfort and reduce liposuction swelling but are associated with decreased flood flow through the skin,  a higher rate of pneumonia and of blood clot formation. For this reason, I no longer use compression garments after Tummy Tuck surgery. I DO think they are important in Liposuction surgery. Combining the operations would call for a compromise for or against the use of a compression garment in this combination of operations.

If you are not very large and are willing to accept tenderness of the back and tummy there is no real reason for you not to have both procedures at the same time. Ask your surgeon for his reasons. He knows you more than any of us.

Tummy Tuck may be combined with Liposuction of the back- to some point

+1

Hi there-

Provided the limits of safety and blood supply to the abdomen are not violated by the liposuction, you could do this safely.

How to be sure these important guidelines are respected? Choose the right surgeon. How to do this? Read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Back Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

I think there is more to this issue than indicated by your short question. It would be better if you resubmit your question including your height, weight and front, back and side phots. If not, then you should go with your surgeon's judgement.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Safety of tummy tuck with full back liposuction

+1

Thank you for your question.I have been doing full tummy tucks and full back liposuction (bra rolls, mid back, waist, hip rolls) at the same time for over 15 years. Never did any of my patients suffer any skin loss or any other untoward effects. There is nothing wrong in staging a procedure if your surgeon feels that, that is the right approach in your case. You do not give your weight and height or BMI. If you are a high BMI patient, that is the safe surgical approach. Why he wants to separate it by one week, I do not know, but I feel he tries to avoid lidocaine toxicity. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon