Is It Safe for Me to Have a Breast Enlargement then Have my Tonsils out 2 Days Later?

Nope

+1
You should not try to put multiple procedures in the same time frame because you have the time set aside.  That is a dangerous game to play with your health.  when you are having any implant placed you should focus on that procedure.

Breast Augmentation Followed by a Medical Procedure: Guidelines

+1

If you are having a cosmetic breast augmentation, I would avoid elective medical procedures for at least several weeks.  It is important to heal prior to the second procedure.  In addition, some elective medical procedures with recent infection issues such as gynecological, tonsillectomy, etc. can produce bacteremia in which bacteria can colonize your new implants.

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Breast Augementation - Is It Safe for Me to Have a Breast Enlargement then Have my Tonsils out 2 Days Later?

+1

Maybe, but I wouldn't advise doing that.  I think it's a set up for a potential problem and I would advise you to leave at least 2-3 weeks in between the two procedures.  I'm not sure that there's clear information on which to do first but if they're being done at about the same time I would probably advise doing the tonsils first, since there are bacteria in the mouth and I don't think you'd want to stimulate them within a short time of having done the implants.  Again, no hard data on this but I'd advise a greater period of time between the two procedures.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and lipposuction should not be combined

+1
If you need a tonsillectomy, this would indicate recurrent bacterial infections. If you have such bacteria in your system, it would be unwise to have a breast augmentation until after you have had a tonsillectomy and established that it was successful. Additionally, I do not recommend having two procedures involving anesthesia within at least one month. These two procedures should be spaced 6-8 weeks apart.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Is it safe to have breast augmentation the tonsillectomy?

+1
The answer is that it's fine to do it theoretically, but may not be practical. Looking at the other answers here, you've been advised not to do it for two reasons: 1. DVT risk 2. Infection risk via transient bacteremia. These can both be managed by dvt prophylaxis, and by antibiotic therapy, so no worries. Here's the problem though: 2 days after augmentation you'll be sore around the chest, you might be on painkillers, you might be nauseated, so that's not a great way to turn up for your tonsillectomy. If you're not well the anesthetist would quite rightly cancel you! So it's smarter to either separate them by a few weeks or do them at the same time and under the same anesthetic. I have done this in practice - combined tonsillectomy and breast augmentation - with no concerns. Talk to your surgeons and see if it can be scheduled together. Ensure you are given IV antibiotic prophylaxis in that event although it should already be routine for both. Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tonsils and Breast Augmentation-How soon?

+1

Dear Brizzy,  There are a number of good reasons to separate your breast augmentation and your tonsillectomy.  Having two procedures in such a short time-frame does increase your risks for developing blood clots.  Also, any oral surgery is not considered "clean" surgery meaning that your mouth is full of bacteria and can increase the risks of your  implants becoming infected or developing a sub-acute infection which can have significant complications.  Lastly, after a tonsillectomy, it is important to not raise your blood pressure to minimize the risks of bleeding.  Pain which may occur after your breast procedure may increase your blood pressure and can lead to a risk of increased bleeding.  I would recommend having your tonsils treated first-treat the less-clean area first and then wait six weeks or so before having your breast augmentation.  Please discuss your concerns with both of your doctors and also the anesthesiologists.  Hope this helps. 

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Undergo tonsillectomy before the breast augmentation

+1

Given the nature of a tonsillectomy including the transient bacteremias that can/do occur from the procedure, I would not recommend having it performed 2 days after your breast augmentation. The concern here is the risk for infection or subacute infection/bacterial seeding around the implant that could markedly increase your risk of developing capsular contracture. Instead, have the tonsillectomy and then undergo the breast augmentation at least 1 month later (or more) depending on how you are doing.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Oral surgery may seed bacteria in your bloodstream

+1

Chances are that you would be ok but there is a theoretical chance that you may deliver some bacteria via your blood stream to the new implants after oral surgery.  If possible I would separate the two procedures by a longer  period of time.  Perhaps tonsils first and then a month or two down the road you can schedule your breast surgery.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Play it safe!

+1

I agree with the concerns others have with having another invasive procedure soon after a breast augmentation. Despite the convenience of having a single recovery period, it's just not worth the risk. I would separate the two procedures by at least 6 weeks. In terms of the sequence, either one may go first. 

Scott W. Harris, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Procedures 2 Days Apart?

+1

Although it may be tempting to schedule 2 procedures close to one another for purposes of recovery time etc., it does increase risks  of complications. Reducing the risk of potential complications should be one of your ( and your surgeon's) priorities.

I would suggest undergoing the medically necessary procedures first  to be followed by the elective operation several months later.