Is It Safe to Both Fix a Very Deviated Septum and Reshape the Nose in One Operation?

I understand fixing a deviated septum can result in a loss of a lot of blood and some Doctors insist on doing two separate operations. My Doctor said it would take 2 and a half hours to do both - How safe is combining both procedures?

Septorhinoplasty combination

+1

This is a safe and common combination.  Generally it is fine to do both  at the same time.  If there is extensive obstruction and damage as can be seen after severe trauma or cocaine use, the two may be best separated.  Get several opinions.  Get MRI studies.  You will be fine.  Good luck,  Dr Commons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Safe to fix deviated septum and reshape nose at same time

+1

Fixing a deviated nasal septum (septoplasty) and reshaping the nose (rhinoplasty) are commonly performed together safely.  Septoplasty should not result in significant blood loss at all. Both procedures performed together also give you the benefit of one anesthetic exposure and one recovery.

I would consult with another recommended surgeon to discuss what approach they would take. You may want to re-visit your current surgeon to address specific questions you have about blood loss, two surgeries and recovery.

Good Luck!

Anifat Balogun, MD

Septoplasty with rhinoplasty

+1

Septoplasty, in the right hands, should have negligible blood loss.  Correcting a deviated septum should always be done at the time of rhinoplasty to enhance the nasal airway.  In addition, rhinoplasty requires cartilage for grafting purposes which is easily taken from the deviated portions of the cartilaginous septum.  If your surgeon is uncomfortable performing septoplasty at the same time as rhinoplasty, perhaps a second opinion might be warranted. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting a Septal Deviation (Septoplasty) and a Cosmetic Rhinoplasty are commonly done Together

+1
Correcting a deviated septum (Septoplasty) and improving the appearance of the nose - Cosmetic Rhinoplasty are commonly done together safely. Both operations can be challenging, especially in certain cases of septal injury and deviation, but there are distinct advantages of doing both at the same time. You may want to get a second opinion before going with staged / delayed procedures. Dr.Peter Aldea