It is Safe to Have a Facelift 10 Days After Doing the EGC Diet? Thanks a Lot.

Facial surgery after a diet

+1

In general it is a good idea to be in your best nutritional state before elective surgery.  You should discuss this with your surgeon

Facelift - Safe to do 10 Days an EGC Diet?

+1

Maybe but it may not be a smart thing to do.  Depending on exactly what is used as part of this (or any other) diet, it may affect your blood-clotting (if aspirin or aspirin-like products are used), your baseline heart rate (if products similar to adrenaline are used) and similar potential issues.  You get the idea.  You should probably be off EVERYTHING for at least 3 weeks before (and after) and surgery.  Under the guidance, of course, of your internist and your PS.  My advice?  Don't do this diet, or any other, ten days before surgery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

I would wait until your body gets back to its regular state

+1

I would wait until your body gets back to its regular state.  It is never a good idea to do surgery after extreme weight loss or other extreme body change.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Safe to have a Face Lift 10 days after ECG diet

+1

If the ECG diet uses appetite suppressants, the general rule is to wait 3-6 months to prevent serious side effects with the anesthesia and or suregry.  Be sure to tell your surgeon, during your consultation, that you're taking diet supplements because it's a health risk with any anesthetic.

Surgery after a recent weight loss

+1

It's a bad idea to do just about any type of surgery on a patient who has had a recent major change in weight.  Any subsequent weight change will affect the surgical result.  You should be at a stable and maintainable weight and on a healthy diet prior to having surgery. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Don't diet before Surgery!

+1

It is not a good idea to diet before surgery.  Extreme dieting is never a good idea and typically the results do not last anyway.  Asking your body to heal after any surgery without proper reserves is a risk you should never take, especially in the case of a facelift or a cosmetic procedure that you can plan.  Choose a time to have surgery when you are in good physical health and can give yourself time to heal.  A facelift that does not heal properly will be with you forever.  Definitely not worth the risk.

Melanie L. Petro, MD
Alabama Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift 10 Days After EGC Diet.

+1

Healing after Facelift, as with any surgery, requires that a patient be in an optimal nutritional state.  Although I am unsure of the specifics of the ECG diet, I do have several words of caution: 1)  Many diets utilize appetite suppressants which can work well and be effective in helping initial weight loss.  However, these medications are stimulants and  carry with them the risk of blunting the body's response to medications that could be required in an emergency situations.  Medications such as Phendimetrazine should be stopped at least 1 month before surgery. 2) Protein based ketogenic diets tend to make a patient relatively dehydrated for a number of reasons.  Going into surgery with an "empty tank" from a cardiovascular standpoint is not a good idea.  3)  Diets that aren't protein based can deplete a patient nutritionally and lead to muscle wasting.  Patients on any diet should wait at least 1 month before having surgery, especially if anesthesia is involved.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift after diet

+1

You and your facelift surgeon want to be well prepared for an optimal outcome. After well-done facelift surgery, you need to heal and you want to do so fast. Having an optimal nutritional status is one important aspect in your recovery. Therefore, any diet should be completed approximately 4-6 weeks before surgery.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Diets and elective plastic surgery

+1

Most elective plastic surgery remains a relativley low risk procedure in an average healthy patient. When patients undertake extreme activity such as running marathons just before or after surgery than risks of complications can increase. An extreme diet has similar effects on the body as extreme activity where the immune system and metabolic response are effected. Give it at least 4 weeks for your body to meatabolically stabilize after an extreme activity or extreme diet before undertaking elective cosmetic surgery.

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cancel Surgery

+1

Dear Chamomille,

I couldn't agree more with my colleague. Radical diets and large weight loss before a surgery are not a good idea. Your bodies immune, endocrine and cardiovascular sysytems could all be altered by radical diets. Please discuss this with your surgeon.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon