Is it safe to drink the Emergen-C vitamin packet mixes before surgery?

I'm not sure why my doctor said I cant have any vitamin c two weeks prior my surgery. I'm a teacher so I try avoid getting sick at all costs.

Vitamin C and Viral Illnesses

+1

There is no reason you can't have B or C vitamins before surgery. However, I do not recommend that you ignore your surgeons recommendations. The good news is that Vitamin C, or Emergen-C, DOES NOT prevent viral illnesses like the common cold, so you can rest assured you are not at any higher risk of a cold because you did not take it.

Vitamin C and Surgery?

+1

Vitamin C should not interfere with surgery and it is not necessary to stop it before surgery.

I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of American Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person, including all of the vitamins, medications, supplements that you take with your surgeon and follow his or her advice about which you need to stop and why.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin C and Surgery

+1

Vitamin C supplementation prior to surgery is not a bad thing as it is essential to collagen formation and wound healing. On the other hand supplements such as Vitamin E, fish oil, and flax seed oil should be avoided for 10-14 days prior to surgery as it will cause excess bruising. Also avoid aspirin and anything else like it such as aleve, advil, ibuprofen, etc.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Vitamin C Prior To Surgery

+1

Vitamin C should be fine taken prior to surgery .Follow your surgeon's instructions for your best result, and to avoid complications.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Vitamin C should be OK prior to rhinoplasty

+1

There should not be any contraindication to taking vitamin C prior to surgery. With regard to vitamin avoidance, some surgeons want their patients to stop taking vitamin E several weeks before surgery to decrease the risk for postoperative bleeding. Thanks for your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD