Is It Safe to Do CO2 Laser on Face & Juvederm Around Mouth & Lips @same Time? (Scheduled 4 Tomorrow)

I'm a 42 yr old fair skinned female. Last week: 1st time w/Botox (forehead) & Radiesse (cheeks). Beautiful! Problem areas: 1. 2” area of grooves @the left corner of lips from shingles 9 yrs ago 2. 1” lines @upper lip arch, lost lip volume & symmetry. Question: it safe to execute CO2 Laser & Juvederm at the same time? I'm scheduled tomorrow for: 1. CO2 laser: face 2. Juvederm injections: in/around mouth & upper lip to restore volume& symmetry. Your time & insight is deeply appreciated.

CO2 laser and fillers at same visit? Maybe...

+1

If you aren't having the CO2 around your mouth, then it's probably okay, but if you are lasering and filling the same area, you could be asking for some unpredictable results.

CO2 laser will cause swelling which is pretty immediate and thus I'd think it would be more difficult to precisely inject the filler.

If you can reschedule the fillers until your skin is healed and the swelling has subsided, that would be my recommendation.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Injections and CO2 Laser

+1

I would definitely separate out the Juvederm Injection and the CO2 laser to two different visit.  I never want to make puncture marks from the injection and treat the skin on the laser at the same time.  My preference is to wait at least a week or more apart.  Also, I wasn't sure if you were getting CO2 or fractionated CO2 laser done.  Please make sure you are going to an experienced dermatologist for these treatments.  Let me know how it goes!

Michele S. Green, MD

CO2 Laser Treatment Before Juvederm Injections is the Preferred Order of Treatment

+1

Hi Mylie,

When having fillers and laser treatment, it is always preferable to have the laser treatment first, then the fillers once you have healed from the laser.  It is thought that the heat of laser treatment (particularly CO2) will cause hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm to possibly break down faster.  Secondly, once you have healed from your CO2 laser treatment, you may require less filler due to the improvement of your wrinkles.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Is It Safe to Do CO2 Laser on Face & Juvederm Around Mouth & Lips @same Time?

+1

I'd separate the Lip Augmentation (Juvederm) and the CO2 Laser of the face by a few days ate least.  Have the Lip Augmentation first followed by the Laser Resurfacing.

CO2 laser and Juvederm same day

+1

Of course it depends on depth and area, which is what all the other physicians on here are saying. I would suggest at least a week in between, personally.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Filler and Laser At The Same Time

+1

I agree with the other physicians...it depends! If the filler is placed deep enough, the laser should not effect the Juvenderm. As well, if the laser is used to treat an area far away from the Juvederm site, it is also probably OK. The difficulty exists when a single area is being treated at one time. I find there can often be significant swelling after CO2 and Juvederm treatments, particularly around the mouth. Male or female, fair skin or not, these are common side effects of both of these treatments that usually resolve quite quickly. However, if these swelling distorts the appearance skin, it can effect the precision of the treatments and might cause your provider to treat the wronfg place, or not treat one place enough. I typically do not do these procedures at the same time.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Is It Safe to Do CO2 Laser on Face & Juvederm Around Mouth & Lips Same Time?

+1

It does depend on how deep the filler is placed. If the filler is placed very superficially to fill fine lines then there could be an issue treating that area with the laser. As long as you're seeing an experienced injector and they are aware of the potential interaction between the laser and superficially placed filler than this is typically safe. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

CO2 laser and Juvederm

+1

It depends on where the Juvederm is injected and where the laser is to be done.  It the Juvederm is for deep corrections, such as nasolabial folds, then there won't be an issue.  If the laser is to be done over the same area where lip injections are done, then it isn't wise.  For example, if the red part of the lips are being plumped, then it should be fine (laser isn't done over the red part usually).  If fine cracks in the upper lip are injected, then this shouldn't be done.  CO2 dosiometry or depth of heat is around 100 microns.  That is well above any deep fold injections.

David Alessi, MD