Is It Safe to Use a Chemical Peel if I Have Facial Moles?

I am an African American woman with large pores and some dark spots due to acne. I am considering getting a chemical peel (salicylic acid) but I am hesitant because I also have a lot of small moles on my face. What will the peel do to my moles (if anything at all)?

Peeling moles

+1

Thank you for your question. I would recommend having your dermatologist look at all your moles before treating them to make sure there are no abnormalities, once he has cleared you it is fine to treat moles with a chemical peel the treatment will not harm the moles and may lighten them up if they have pigment in them. Please consult with you aesthetician on the type of peel that is best for your skin.

- Best wishes

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Chemical peels and facial moles

+1

A salicylic acid peel should not cause any harm to true facial moles or to mole-like lesions known as dermatosis papulosa nigra.  That being said, it is recommended that you have your moles evaluated by a board-certified dermatologist. 

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Have your skin examined first.

+1

Before your chemical peel, please have a board-certified dermatologist examine your moles under magnification, to make sure that your moles are all normal. Your doctor can also tell you what to expect after your peel. Regards.

Christine Glavey, MD (retired)
Alpharetta Dermatologic Surgeon