Is It Safe to Have a Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck at a Private Facility Not a Hospital?

Surgical centers

+2

It is safe to have surgery in a surgical center, or office surgery room.

PROVIDED

1: the facility is accrideted by JCAHO, AAAhs, Or AAAASF.

The surgeon is board certified, The anesthesia provider is certified. The surgeon has privillages in a hospital to do the same surgery at the hospital.

AND you are completely healthy, with a history , physical exam and blood work and EKG when indicated by your family physician

Is it safe to have a Mommy Makeover in a private facility in a private facility and not a hospital?

+1
It could be safe. You need to check very carefully, joust like you would in the hospital.

Is this an accredited facility
Will there be a board certified anesthesiologist administrating my anesthesia and monitoring me? How many times has my plastic surgeon performed this procedures before. What do the results look like? You missy look for many, many before and after photos. Are there scars around the belly button, or does the belly button look unnatural? If so, keep looking. 
Is the Surgical suite accredited by JCAHO (Joint Commission) and /or AAAASF? Who will be in the OR with you. Who will be monitoring your progress after surgery?  These are just a few questions you need to ask.  I have created information and guidelines for women who are interested in having the best possible results from a mommy makeover. 

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/gallery/mommy1.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction & Tummy Tuck Procedures Are Frequently Performed in Outpatient Surgical Facilities

+1

Breast reduction and tummy tucks are frequently performed in outpatient surgery centers. When having outpatient surgery, it’s important to make sure that the facility is fully accredited and certified at both the state and federal levels. It’s also important to make sure that both your plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist are board certified as well.

When cosmetic surgery is performed on an outpatient basis, certain criteria must be met. Patients need to be in good health otherwise and they must have a support system in place. Safety should always be a priority. When patients have co-existing medical problems, they should undergo a comprehensive medical evaluation before surgery. Depending upon the results of these studies, inpatient surgery may be indicated.

Every patient’s situation is slightly different and because of this, some patients should have outpatient surgery while others should have inpatient surgery. This decision is determined by multiple factors. These include the overall health of the patient, the nature of the procedure, the surgeon’s preference and the patient’s support system. The vast majority of cases can be done safely on an inpatient basis. This has the added advantage of significant savings and the convenience of home during recovery.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Hospital vs. Surgery Center for Mommy Makeover

+1

The answer to your question is a resounding YES.  Board Certified Plastic Surgeons can only operate in certified surgery centers or hospitals.  Therefore, by definition, if you are going to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, then your surgery will be done in a certified surgery center.  Ask to see the credentials of your anesthesiologist and your plastic surgeon.  Ask to speak to a few of the plastic surgeons patients who had similar procedures to see what level of care they got at this private facility.

In Hawaii, most of the cosmetic surgeries are done in private facilities by highly qualified Board Certified Plastic Surgeons.  I am certain that North Carolina has the same quality facilities and also highly qualified plastic surgeons.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Private Facilities vs Hospitals for Procedures

+1

If you are in good health, are an appropriate candidate and plan to have your surgery at a Certified Ambulatory Facility, than it is safe to have both of these procedures outside the hospital.  

As a patient, you want to review the certification of the facility and to review the credentials of your anesthesiologist.   Facilities that are AAAA (Quad A C) certified,  are held to the same standards as the hospital.  They are regularly re-inspected to make sure the safe standards are maintained.   

Additionally, you need to carefully consider your immediate post-op recovery.   Will you be staying at the facility and will you have access to nursing care.  The first 48 hours following these two procedures especially when done together,  are painful.   You will want to review pain management, and how you will be assisted to get out of bed, as well as deep breath and cough.  

Finally, you will want to know how you will reach your doctor in the event of an emergency.

Web reference: http://www.5thavesurgery.com/the-office/our-facilities/

Mommy Makeover at Private Facility vs. Hospital

+1

The answer will depend on multiple factors.  First, what is your health status, and are you a candidate for an outpatient procedure?  You may need to be cleared for surgery by your Family Medicine or Internal Medicine Physician.  Next, what is the certification status of the surgey center?  National certifications will help keep high standards, (i.e.; AAAASF, JCAHO, Medicare).  Also, the choice of Anesthesiologist is important.  We use a Board Certifeid Anesthesiologist for our cases.  Further, make sure the Plastic Surgeon has admitting privileges at a nearby hospital just in case.  With that said, most cases can be done safely in an outpatient setting.  Do talk with your Plastic Surgeon if you have any concerns.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty

Surgery at a private facility.

+1

It is safe to have surgery performed in a private facility. Facilities that specialize in plastic surgery can offer the same degree of safety but a more private experience. It is absolutely imperitive however that the surgery facility be fully accredited, the surgeon board certified.

Web reference: http://www.jaimeperezmd.com

Breast Reduction and Tummy Tuck in a Private Facility

+1

Whether it is safe to have these procedures performed together (in any location) will depend on your specific medical history, physical examination and selection of surgeon.  You need to make sure that your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon who works with a board certified Anesthesiologist who works in a fully accredited surgery center  or hospital.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Surgery outside a hospital

+1

I either perform surgery in a hospital or an accredited facility through what is called Quad A or (AAAASF).  If a patient has significant medical issues I will always do it in the hospital.  Most patients prefer my facility because I think it is less stressful for the patient.  Both are safe and offer different advantages.

Private facility vs Hospital

+1

For any cosmetic surgery, I recommend you have your procedure at an accredited facility (such as an AAAASF accredited surgery suite/facility) or a hospital.   Accreditation ensures that certain safety parameters have been met.  Talk to your PS about the private facility.  Visit the facility.  If you do not feel comfortable, then you can always opt for a hospital.