Is It Safe to Do Breast Reduction for the Second Time on the Same Breast?

Hello, When I was 24 years old, I had surgery (inverted T approach) to reduce the size of my left breast only as it was bigger than the right one. I had no complications at all. However, I find that the breast is still slightly larger than the right one about a cup size bigger. It's been eight years now that I had this surgery and I am considering to correct the left breast again. Areola same size and nipple same height , it's just the left breast which is bigger. Is it worth taking the risk?

Secondary Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

Is it worth the risk? That is a question only you can answer after you have had a through consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. If you choose a different one from your original operation then bring in a copy of your operative report so that your new surgeon will understand how your prior surgery was done to minimize potential problems with your next surgery. In most cases repeat surgery can be performed safely.

Repeat Breast Reduction Safe?

+1

Your  experience is not that unusual.  You may be a candidate for repeat breast reduction surgery.  

If you do decide to undergo repeat breast reduction surgery,  it will be very helpful to your plastic surgeon (if at all possible),  to review the previous operative report. The concern with repeat breast reduction surgery is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue.   Must be taken during repeat breast reduction surgery to avoid cutting the  pedicle that is responsible for “delivering” blood flow to the nipple/areola complexes.  If this does occur,  tissue necrosis may result.

Volume and Shape

+1

Dealing with significant breast asymmetry can be challenging even for experienced surgeons. Every case is different, often a combination of techniques is necessary.

If the nipple/areola position is good, I would consider a liposuction alone procedure using ultrasound assisted technique. 

Thomas R. Walek, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon