Is it safe to have a breast aug. A month after a termination?

I had a termination on nov.1 I was 6 weeks pregnant Andy surgeon said it was fine to have my B.A on the 6 of December is it safe?

Breast Augmentation following pregnancy

+2

I agree with Dr Tholen, You would be best to wait for the hormonal changes to settle before having surgery to your breasts.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Safe, probably. Ideal, not!

+2

Even though you were early in your terminated pregnancy, your body and breasts were still affected by the significant hormonal changes associated with every pregnancy. It takes your body and breasts several months to return to normal. I usually tell my patients to wait at least three menstrual cycles before undergoing elective breast surgery. This reduces the risk of bleeding, bruising, ductal bacteria changes that can increase the risk of capsular contracture, etc. So while the surgery can indeed be safe, the risks of less-than-ideal outcome are increased.

Why the rush? Wait for your best outcome. I'd recommend 3-6 months. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

BBA

+1
I wouldn't offer you this surgery until your hormone levels had reverted to normal.  This will take many months.  See a BC PS.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast surgery after termination

+1

It is safe to proceed with surgery. However, your breast size may have been influenced by your pregnancy. If your breasts did nor change or your implants were sized prior to pregnancy, it shouldn't be an issue.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

B.A. after termination

+1

A termination can cause several hormonal changes in the body, I would suggest to wait a little before the procedure so your body can recover from the initial inbalance.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD

Breast augmentation timing after termunation

+1

Dear Michelle,

You will hear many different opinions. Use common sense. As far as I am concerned , 2 factors will determined if to proceed with surgery. If your breasts are still enlarged from pregnency it is better to wait for return to normalcy, other wise you might have milk leaking from the incision. The other factor is gynecological. Get a clearance from your gynecologist to make sure that you do not have complication like infection etc. If he gives you the green light and your breasts returned to normal you can proceed with surgery.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

I would check with your ob-gyn doctor before considering a breast augmentation to make sure it is ok at this point.

Breast augmentation after termination of pregnancy

+1

I would advise you to wait another two months. What will likely happen during pretesting is that the hormone levels will be high. In NY, the anesthesiologists will decline to proceed unless it can be established that no fetal material was left behind and this always results in rescheduling of the case.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Weight 3-6 months after termination of pregnancy before breast augmentation

+1

Thank you for your question. As mentioned below your body has already undergone changes after 11 weeks of pregnancy. Although it is there medically safe to have an augmentation now I would suggest waiting 3-6 months before having her breast augmentation.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS