Is It Safe to Get Botox when Taking Spironolactone?

I have been taking spironolactone for a month a half to clear up hormonal acne. I am 42 and am going in for botox in 2 weeks. Are there any complications or do I need not worry? Thanks!

Acne treatment and botox

+1

I am not aware of any interactions between Botulinum toxin and Spironolactone and I have consulted Epocrates software, as well.

Interaction between Botox and Spironolactone

+1

There are no known interactions between Botox and spironolactone. You should have no problem with your Botox treatment as long as you see a highly trained and experienced injector. Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Spironolactone

+1

Hi M,

There are not increased risks having Botox injections while taking Spironolactone.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Botox and Spironolactone

+1

I know of no know interactions between Botox and spironolactone. As far as I know, there are no known contraindications or risk for taking both of these medications at the same time.

Adam J. Mamelak, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and spironalactone

+1

It is always good to check for a medication interaction, but there is no problem using Botox in someone who is taking Spironalactone. Botox is my number 1 cosmetic procedure, and most patients love the results. I bet you will too.  Lana Long, M.D.

Lana Long, MD
Cincinnati Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox vs Spironolactone, there is no contraindication

+1

There is no problem with using these two treatments together at the same time.  I'm not sure why this came up as a concern, but I am unaware of any interaction between Botox injections and oral medications.  I was unable to find any publications referring to such a complication on MedLine.  I hope this helps! 

Curt Samlaska, MD

Botox & Spironolactone

+1

There aren't any indications why you couldn't have a Botox treatment/injection while taking Spironolactone, however, always discuss your health history and any prescription medications and/or over the counter supplements you are taking prior to any treatment.

Sam Naficy, MD

No problems with Botox and Spironolactone

+1

Happily there is no reason why you can not get Botox or any of the other wrinkle relaxers while on Spironolactone or most other medications.  We manage many adult women with acne with Spironolactone because is is very safe and effective.

Margo Weishar, MD
Philadelphia Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Spironolactone

+1

There should be no added concerns with Botox if you are taking spironolactone. It's always good to let whoever is injecting know what medications (prescription and non-prescription) you are taking, as well as vitamins, supplements, homeopathic remedies, and herbs.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD