Is it safe to use Botox when you have been diagnosed with Hepatitis C?

After being in the medical field years ago, I had been diagnosed with Hepatitis C about 14 years ago. I have recently had my second liver biopsy. My liver is healthy with very few changes and will be going though treatment this fall. Is it safe to use cosmetic Botox? Can you give me your opinion on the safety on the use of a filler (Juvederm Ultra) also?

Botox and Hepatitis C

+1
Botox is a cosmetic product that has no known contraindication with Hepatitis C.  I would recommend you get medical clearing from your internist before you proceed.

Botox and fillers when have Hep C

+1
  • I am sorry you contracted Hep C but glad you are doing well.
  • Yes, you can have Botox and fillers if you have Hep C.
  • I have such patients in my own practice.
  • Depending on your liver function, you may tend to bruise more than average.
  • And the Botox effect may be a little more variable than average. Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Botox safe in Hepatitis C

+1
There is no contra-indication to using Botox or Juvederm in a patient with Hepatitis C.  Your treatment expectations should be no different from anyone else, and just as safe.

Jeffrey C. Poole, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I get Botox if I have Hepatitis C?

+1
There is no reason you cannot have Botox done is you have Hepatitis C.  As stated by previous answers, you may have a bruising issue if your liver is not producing clotting factors normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Botox and Juvederm with Hepatitis C

+1
There are no contraindications to either of these treatments in Hepatitis C.  Even the risk of bruising, which is never a significant side effect with Botox, is not greater with Juvederm unless you have chronic active hepatitis with decreased production of clotting factors. Several blood tests can show this, and likely have already been performed. Your hepatologist would know if this is a problem in your case.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Botox and Hepatitis C

+1

As long as you are otherwise in good health and your immune system remains strong, it is probably okay to get Botox with a diagnosis of Hepatitis C. Botox is not metabolized by the liver.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox in Hepatitis-C Patients

+1
Botox is injected locally and remains where injected. It, therefore, is not metabolized through the liver and has ne effect on the liver. It should, therefore, be quite safe. The only problem you may have would be an increased risk of bruising if the Hepatitis has caused a reduction of your clotting factors. If so, ask your liver specialist if you can take Arnica Montana or Bromalain (in pineapple juice) or something else to reduce your bruising.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

I have injected patients with Hepatitis C with Botox without any problems

+1
I think that you are at risk to have more bruising than the normal Botox patient, but other than that, it's perfectly ok to have Botox.  There is no metabolism of the Botox by the liver so you are fine.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Destin, Florida.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox Injections When Diagnosed with Hep C

+1
Although there shouldn't be a problem having Botox with your diagnosis, it would be best to clear such treatments with your GI/ Hepatologist.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to undergo Botox treatment with a diagnosis of hepatitis C?

+1
Even though localized infections are a contraindication to undergo injectable treatments, I have not seen an explicitly reported contraindication to receive Botox treatments with a diagnosis of Hepatitis C.  Universal sanitary precautions should be exercised with every patient.

Trust your face to a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, a board-certified plastic surgeon, or a board-certified dermatologist.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon