Is It Safe to Get a Botox While on Immunosupressants After a Kidney Transplant?

I had a kidney transplant surgery 2 months ago. I'm on immunosuppressants. Is it safe for me to have a botox treatment now or later? Thank you.

Kidney transplant and Botox

+1

I have treated kidney transplant patients in the past, but you should clear it with your kidney doctor first. It may be a bit premature to do so.

Botulinum Toxin (Botox and Dysport) in a kidney transplant patient

+1

For the most part concerns about infection and reanal clearance and nephrotoxicity are paramount in an individual with a kidney transplant, However, I generally do not see a contra-indication if acceptable to your transplant surgeon and nephrologist.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/skin-procedures-chicago/injectables/botox/

Botox - immunosuppression

+1

I'd talk to your oncologist and internist to get their clearance.  A lot of it depends on how immunosuppressed you are and what other medical issues you have.  I would not proceed until you have discussed it with them.  Once they clear you for the treatment, it is of utmost importance that your Botox injector is extremely careful to keep everything as sterile as possible so you don't get an infection.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Aseptic technique is the main precaution

+1

It should be safe to have any neurotoxin in limited amounts as long as the risk of infection is minimized by using aseptic or sterile tecnique when getting the injection, and there is no skin inflammation at the injection site. I would check with your medical specialist for routine clearance as well. While Botox is a purified bacterial toxin there is no live bacteria in the product, so you should be safe.

Web reference: http://www.specialface.com

Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox when immunosuppressed

+1

In the hands of a trained physician injector, who performs aseptic technique, you are good to go on the neurotoxin- enjoy

Germantown Dermatologist

Botox and kidney transplant medication

+1

As long as  your kidney transplant surgeon and internist agree, there should be no issue with Botox provided that the standard aseptic technique is used (the physician disinfects the skin, sterile needles, etc.).

Botox in Newly Immunosuppressed Patients? I would wait...

+1

While there is no absolute reason not to have it that I can think of, I  think it would be prudent to wait.  I also would check with your transplant team first.  There are some human proteins in the mixture, and these might have some unintended consequences in your situation.  Because this is such a complex area, I would, in your position, wait a bit more before doing anything in the cosmetic area.  It just seems prudent to not add anything else into the mix of a complex situation.  

Claudio DeLorenzi MD FRCS

Get a Botox While on Immunosupressants After a Kidney Transplant

+1

Just for your own safety I would recommend a written OK from your medical doctor before having BOTOX injections. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Botox for immunosuppressed patients

+1

Botox is safe for transplant patients as long as there are no skin infections in the area to be injected and there are no allergies to Botox itself.

Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox has not live organism in it.

+1

BOTOX is a purified protein that is used to adjust the muscles of facial expression.  There is no live bacteria in the product.  There are no contraindications to having BOTOX simply because you are immune suppressed for your kidney transplant.  Having said that, given your medical condition, it is always best to check with your internist or nephrologist who is following you and get their advise regarding any treatment you may be considering.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com