Is it safe to do blue light therapy treatments for acne while using tretinoin?

I use .025% tretinoin every other night and I also take spironolactone, but my pores are still so clogged which is probably more aggravating to me than the occasional breakouts that result. My skin also gets dry and flaky. Can blue light therapy help with clogged pores, and if so, is it okay to do treatments if I also use tretinoin?

Treatment for Clogged Pores

+1
The best solution for clogged pores is manual extraction. The dry and flaky skin may be a result of the tretinoin; it is ok to apply an oil-free moisturizer after tretinoin to help with the dryness. I would recommend continued use of your medications with extractions followed by a blue light. The extractions will help with your congested pores and the blue light will help kill the existing bacteria on your skin to help prevent and treat your beakouts.

Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Blue light therapy for acne

+1
Clogging of the pores is typically treated with tretinoin cream but it may take several months to see the results.  Facials with extractions and Isolaz photopneumatic treatments are effective options to complement the tretinoin.  An oil-free moisturizer can help with dryness. Blue light therapy can help decrease the bacteria on the skin and slow down oil production but works better for pimples than for clogged pores.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist