Is It Safe to Be Away from Home 2 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I am 18 years old and had an open rhinoplasty almost 2 weeks ago. Since I have little to no bruising and have had no complications thus far , I was thinking of visiting a friend over the weekend. However my parents are concerned that it isn't safe to be a 2 and a half hour drive away from home without a family member, even though we have nothing planned other than having a quiet weekend to catch up. Is there any reason to be worried?

Rhinoplasty healing time

+1

Dear emblystadium,

1. You should be fine after 2 weeks if you have not had any issues
  2. Just take your doctor's number in case

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

OK to be away from home 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Yes, I think that is not a problem to be away from home at this point.  If you were going to have any acute post op problems, they would have happened by now.  Have fun.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to be away from home 2 weeks after open rhinoplasty surgery?

+1

After two weeks, having a quiet weekend away from home should not be a problem. Be sure to continue to take it easy, as overexerting yourself too soon can increase swelling and delay your healing time. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Travel after a rhinoplasty

+1

This should not be a problem as long as your external sutures are out and the splint and any internal  packing has been removed.  Check with your plastic surgeon prior to travel.  

It is safe to be away from home 2 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery.

+1

It is safe to be away from home 2 weeks after rhinoplasty surgery. In 35 years of rhinoplasty surgery I've had no problem with the surgery such as infection or bleeding.

Post rhinoplasty

+1

No problem at two weeks.  Risks of bleeding, infection low. Avoid contact sports.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

It is safe to be away from home two weeks after rhinoplasty.

+1

It is safe to be away from home two weeks after rhinoplasty. The nose is very stable and only significant trauma would create any problems.

Travel after Rhinoplasty

+1

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  The primary concern limiting travel for up to 2 weeks after a rhinoplasty is a nose bleed.  The risk is dependent on the exact interventions performed during the procedure. Correction of the nasal bones via osteotomies, a septoplasty, and even the the method of turbinate reduction can all have an impact on your risk for bleeding. Since the details of your surgical procedure are best known by your surgeon, he/she is your best source for post operative instructions and restrictions. In general,  keeping you nose well hydrated with saline spray/ointment, restricting heavy lifting, avoiding a head-down position, protection from trauma, and continuing light activity will minimize your risk. Although being 2 hrs away is not so far as to limit a return to your surgeon if a nosebleed arises, a car ride with a nosebleed isn't much fun. You clearly have involved and caring parents that have your best interest at heart. You should involve them and your surgeon in the final decision. Take care.

Robert Brobst, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon